Afghan gunmen kill 9 Nato guards

2010-10-18 13:26

Kabul – Gunmen killed nine Afghans working as private security guards protecting a Nato supply convoy in the south of the country, police said on Monday.

The attack in Gershk district happened on Sunday night, said the deputy police chief for Helmand province, Kamaluddin Khan.

In a separate incident, an airstrike by international coalition forces killed four suspected Taliban fighters who were planting a bomb, said Abdul Jabar Pardeli, the police chief in neighbouring Nimroz province. A Taliban commander was among those killed by Sunday night's strike, he said.

Violence has recently risen in the south of the country as Nato and Afghan forces try to push insurgents from their strongholds around Kandahar city.

In western Afghanistan, a roadside bomb killed three civilians on Monday morning in Herat city, police said. Police spokesperson Noor Nikzad said the bomb was hidden in a sack in an irrigation ditch. When officers went to inspect the object, it exploded.

The three victims had been walking nearby. Nikzad said one police officer was wounded.

Meanwhile, Nato forces say that a detainee captured in an operation in the south was found dead in his holding cell on Sunday.

Nato says the man was being held in Kandahar province after being detained on Saturday, and the alliance is investigating the circumstances of his death. The international military coalition gave no further information.