Another Australian charged with terror-related offences

2015-04-21 17:10
File: AP

File: AP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - Australian police on Tuesday charged a second man with terrorism-related offences, as Prime Minister Tony Abbott urged the public not to be deterred by fears of an alleged plot inspired by Islamic State.

It follows police in Britain arresting a 14-year-old boy in connection with the purported plan to attack Anzac Day commemorations on April 25 - when Australia honours its war dead.

Of five men seized in Melbourne on Saturday, Sevdet Besim, 18, remains in custody charged with conspiring to commit a terrorist act.

Another 18-year-old, Harun Causevic, was on Tuesday charged with the same offence and remanded in custody, reportedly smiling from the dock at his weeping father.

Two other men, aged 18 and 19, have been released pending further inquiries while another 18-year-old was released but is facing weapons offences.

Credible terrorist threat

In Britain, Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole said on Monday: "We have uncovered communication between an individual in the northwest and a man in Australia to what we believe is a credible terrorist threat."

Police said the boy, from Blackburn in northwest England, had previously been arrested on 2 April but they stressed there was no evidence of an imminent attack being planned in Britain.

Australian police confirmed the British arrest was connected to their operation.

Abbott reiterated Tuesday his call for people to turn out in force on Anzac Day, with ceremonies due to be held in towns and cities across the country to remember those who served as Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers.

"The best thing we can do in the face of those who would do us harm is to go about our normal lives and if we go to an Anzac Day service, we are showing our defiance of those who would do us harm and we're supporting our countries, our values and our armed forces," he said.

Australia raised its threat level to "high" last September and has since carried out a series of counter-terrorism raids, with alarm fuelled by the departure of more than 100 of its nationals to Iraq and Syria to fight with jihadists.

Read more on:    isis  |  tony abbott  |  australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.