Australia forced adoption apology urged

2012-03-01 18:14
Sydney - The Australian government was urged on Thursday to apologise and consider compensating tens of thousands of unwed mothers and the babies they were forced to give up for adoption between the 1950s and 70s.

A Senate inquiry into forced adoption - widespread in the post-war period and largely driven by religious organisations - called for a national apology and the establishment of "financial reparation schemes".

Inquiry chair, Senator Rachel Siewert, said it had been "heartbreaking" to hear from hundreds of mothers and babies scarred by forcible removal between 1951 and 1975 in Australia, then a conservative and quite Christian nation.

Young single women who fell pregnant were typically sent to stay with relatives or in group houses run by the church and other religious organisations due to the social stigma and economic pressure of unmarried pregnancies.

Babies were usually signed away for adoption long before they were born, and the inquiry found women were pressured to consent, signatures were fraudulently obtained, if at all, and adoption was presented as inevitable.

Strict rules

"There was evidence of consent not properly taken. There was evidence of coercion. All the pressure, practices and policies have had lifelong impacts on mothers, fathers, adoptees and family members," said Siewert, tabling the inquiry's report in parliament.

"It is undoubted that past policies and practices have caused great harm and hurt to mothers, fathers, adoptees and their family members. You cannot come to any other conclusion when you are listening to the evidence."

Strict rules governed access to information for both mothers and their children and adopted babies had birth certificates issued in their adoptive parents' names on the grounds that a "clean break" was best for all parties.

Siewert said one woman had told the inquiry that a mother "whose child has been stolen does not only remember in her mind, she remembers with every fibre of her being".

She called for the national, state and territory governments and the organisations involved to issue formal apologies for the harm suffered.

Attorney-General Nicola Roxon said the government needed to "consider the report prior to responding to the recommendations".
Read more on:    australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.