Australian counter-terrorism raids continue

2015-01-09 20:57
Man Haron Monis, the gunman in the Lindt Cafe incident in Martin Place. (Dean Lewins, AP)

Man Haron Monis, the gunman in the Lindt Cafe incident in Martin Place. (Dean Lewins, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - Australian police conducted fresh counter-terrorism raids in Sydney on Friday, officials said, as part of an ongoing investigation into citizens providing support to foreign fighters overseas.

A 33-year-old man was arrested and charged with acquiring and possessing ammunition illegally in the raids, which were carried out at four properties in southwest Sydney, New South Wales police said.

He was refused bail and ordered to appear in a Sydney court on Saturday.

The warrants were "part of a long-running investigation and not as a result of any specific terrorism threat," police added in a statement.

The raids were unconnected to the 16-hour stand-off at a Sydney cafe in mid-December that left the lone gunman, self-styled Islamic cleric Man Haron Monis, and two hostages dead, an Australian Federal Police spokesperson told AFP.

The investigation, which has been running for more than a year, is looking into alleged financial and other support for foreign fighters involved in conflicts such as those in Syria and Iraq.

"The priority for all agencies involved in these operations is to ensure the safety of the community," the Australian Federal Police's interim Assistant Commissioner Peter Crozier said.

Australia raised its terror threat level in September on growing concern about militants returning from fighting in Iraq and Syria.

70 fighters

There were also large-scale counter-terrorism raids across the country in September.

Eleven people have been charged with various offences related to the alleged planning of an attack on domestic soil and helping citizens travel to the Middle East as foreign fighters.

The government has said that more than 70 Australians are currently fighting for Islamist militants in Iraq and Syria, with at least 20 believed to have died.

There are growing concerns that increasing numbers of youths are being radicalised and could mount attacks at home.

Last year, Canberra passed a law criminalising travel to terror hotspots without good reason. Those charged could face up to 10 years in jail.

Read more on:    australia

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.