Bomber kills at least 24 at Yemen ceremony

2015-01-01 05:30
People gather at the site of a suicide bombing as Yemeni security officials collect debris in Sana’a, Yemen. (AP Photo)

People gather at the site of a suicide bombing as Yemeni security officials collect debris in Sana’a, Yemen. (AP Photo)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sana'a - A suicide bomber attacked a ceremony Wednesday hosted by Shi'ite rebels commemorating the birth of the Prophet Muhammad, killing at least 24 people and wounding 48 in a country plagued by militants, authorities said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack on a cultural centre in the city of Ibb, some 190km from the capital, Sana'a, though Yemen's local al-Qaeda branch has carried out similar attacks in the past. Civilian officials, Shi'ite rebels, a famed poet and a leader of a political party all died in the attack, which left blood soaking the floor of an auditorium as men wailed to God.

Mohammed Abdel-Baki, the local spokesperson for the Houthi rebels, said the governor of Ibb province had been at the event, but wasn't wounded. He described the attack as a "massacre."

"The torn body parts are everywhere. Pools of blood mixed with water. The scene is horrifying," he said. Abdel-Baki said the local hospital in Ibb had 24 corpses from the attack. Yemen's Interior Ministry put the toll at 23 people killed and 48 wounded.

Two other explosions rocked Ibb following the first attack, the Houthis said, but it wasn't clear if they caused casualties.

The Houthis seized large areas of Yemen, including Sana'a, earlier this year as part of a protracted power struggle with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. Their critics view them as a proxy for Shiite Iran, charges the rebels deny.

In a brief statement, Hadi vowed to chase the terrorists who carried out the attack, saying: "They will not escape prosecution."

Meanwhile, in the central city of Radda, a security official said series of blasts that targeted Houthi positions killed at least five people. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to journalists.

The city has been a battleground between al-Qaeda fighters and allied tribes and Houthis for the past months before the militant group's withdrawal. The group carries out near-daily attacks on Houthis.

Read more on:    yemen

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.