Boston bomb conman held

2013-07-02 22:42
Investigators work near the location where the previous night a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was arrested. (Matt Rourke, AP)

Investigators work near the location where the previous night a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was arrested. (Matt Rourke, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Boston - Police arrested a man on Tuesday over allegations he used the name of an aunt who had been dead for more than a decade to try and claim about $2.2 million from the Boston Marathon bomb victims fund, prosecutors said.

The Massachusetts Attorney General's office said Boston man Branden Mattier, 22, told the fund's administrators that his aunt lost both of her legs in the attack on 15 April when two improvised pressure cooker bombs exploded at the finish line, killing three people and injuring 264 others.

But the aunt had been dead for more than a decade and Mattier was arrested at his home in Boston when an undercover police officer presented him with a fake cheque for $2.195m, prosecutors said.

"He sought to take these funds away from real victims of the Marathon attack and from the thousands of people who had so generously given to help those who truly need it," Attorney General Martha Coakley said in a statement.

Mattier is being charged with attempted larceny, the prosecutor said. Mattier was not immediately available to comment.

The marathon bombing victims fund, called The One Fund, was established by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick. It has so far brought in more than $60m in donations, according to its website.

The fund is being managed by Kenneth Feinberg, an arbitration attorney who also oversaw compensation for victims of the 11 September 2001 attacks and the theatre shootings in Aurora, Colorado.

Two ethnic Chechen brothers were identified by the FBI as suspects in the marathon bombing.

The younger of the two, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is being held after being indicted by a grand jury on charges that would carry the death penalty if he were convicted.

His older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, died in a shoot-out with police days after the bombing. 
Read more on:    tamerlan tsarnaev  |  dzhokhar tsarnaev  |  us  |  boston explosions

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.