Boston bomb trial jurors barred from marathon

2015-04-14 21:27
In this courtroom sketch, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is depicted between defense attorney Judy Clarke during his federal death penalty trial. (Jane Flavell Collins, AP)

In this courtroom sketch, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is depicted between defense attorney Judy Clarke during his federal death penalty trial. (Jane Flavell Collins, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Boston - Jurors hearing the Boston Marathon bombing trial are barred from attending this year's race, a federal judge told the panel on Tuesday as part of instructions ahead of the trial's sentencing phase.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted last week of planting two home-made bombs at the crowded finish line of the world famous marathon in 2013, killing three people and injuring 264 others.

The same jury that convicted Tsarnaev will hear testimony on whether he should be sentenced to death or life in prison for his crimes, starting next Tuesday, the day after the 2015 marathon takes place.

"Do not attend the Boston Marathon or any related events or gatherings," Judge George O'Toole told jurors in US District Court in Boston, describing the sentencing phase as "sensitive."

The famed race, which draws elite runners from around the world, takes place on the Patriots Day holiday in Massachusetts - commemorating the first battles of the American Revolution - and has taken on special significance for the city's residents since the 2013 bomb attack.

O'Toole said the sentencing phase of the trial - in which witnesses will again be called to the stand - is expected to take four weeks, followed by jury deliberations.

"In the next phase of this case you will learn a lot more," defence lawyer Judy Clarke told jurors during closing statements in Tsarnaev's trial.

O'Toole also reminded jurors to avoid all media coverage, especially on the second anniversary of the bombings on Wednesday.

Read more on:    dzhokhar tsarnaev  |  us  |  boston bombings

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.