News24

Breivik - first interview with foreign TV

2012-01-31 18:22

Oslo - The gunman who killed 77 people in twin attacks in Norway wants to give his first interview to a foreign television channel before his trial opens in April, his lawyer was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

Attorney Geir Lippestad told Norwegian tabloid Verdens Gang (VG) that he had advised his client Anders Behring Breivik against giving any media interviews because "it is not wise to speak out before the trial".

"But Breivik has maintained that he would like to be interviewed by a foreign television channel," Lippestad said.

The 32-year-old right-wing extremist, who was declared by psychiatrists last year to be criminally insane, has not spoken to the media since his deadly rampage last July.

Numerous Norwegian and foreign media outlets have expressed an interest in interviewing Behring Breivik in the high-security Ila prison near Oslo, where he is being held pending the opening of his trial on April 16.

"It's true that at this point he has a specific foreign media outlet in mind but it doesn't mean that a deal has been reached," another of his lawyers, Vibeke Hein Baera, told AFP.

She said that apart from the normal security routines that would have to be followed, there was no obstacle to an interview being conducted.

As of mid-December, the self-confessed killer has been allowed to receive visitors in prison and have access to the media.

Behring Breivik, who claimed to be on a crusade against multi-culturalism and the "Muslim invasion" of Europe, set off a car bomb outside government buildings in Oslo on July 22 last year, killing eight people.

He then went to Utoeya island, some 40km northwest of Oslo, and, dressed as a police officer, spent more than an hour methodically shooting and killing another 69 people, mainly teenagers, attending a summer camp hosted by the ruling Labour Party's youth wing.

An initial psychiatric evaluation concluded Behring Breivik was criminally insane, meaning he could not be held accountable for his actions, but following a storm of criticism the Oslo District Court appointed two new psychiatrists to provide a second opinion.

Comments
  • Jerzy - 2012-01-31 20:16

    Reading his ramblings on the internet as well as his praises of loon Islamophobes like robert spencer it is evident that not only is he sane, but his heinous act was well orchestrated as his victims were sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. Where are all the usual news24 hate mongers now.

  • pages:
  • 1