News24

Breivik survivor felt death

2012-05-15 21:11

Oslo - A woman who suffered multiple gunshot wounds in last year's shooting spree in Norway recalled at the trial onTuesday of accused gunman Anders Behring Breivik how close she was to dying.

"I remember all the shots that hit me," Ina Rangones Libak, 22, told the Oslo District Court, and showed the scars from the bullet wounds as she was hit in the arms, chest and face, the last damaging her jawbone.

Libak was hit five times while hiding behind a piano in a building that served as a cafeteria and assembly hall, where 13 people died, on Utoya island. She said she believed she had been shot through a window, and had no recollection of the gunman being in the building.

Despite her injuries she managed to flee but felt she had no control over her body and was bleeding profusely.

"I thought, 'Now I'm going to die, this is how you die'," she said.

"There was a lot of blood from all the wounds. I tried to stop it with my hands, but they didn't work so well due to the gunshots," said Libak, who spent one month in hospital.

"I have covered it with a little make-up," she said, indicating the scar on her face.

An 18-year-old boy at the Labour Party youth camp came to her rescue and helped carry her to a more secure place.

Breivik has admitted to carrying out the 22 July 2011 twin attacks in Oslo and Utoya in which 77 people died, but has pleaded not guilty.

Calm and collected

Another witness who took the stand was Even Andre Oien Kleppen, a member of Norwegian People's Aid, a volunteer organisation linked to the Labour movement that for many years has given first aid to youth camp participants at Utoya.

Kleppen, 32, went to the island along with Breivik and during the brief ferry crossing noticed that Breivik was carrying a different kind of handgun than police normally use and his uniform - which was fake - also differed from standard issue.

Breivik appeared calm and in control, Kleppen said.

When the shooting started on the island, Kleppen barricaded himself with at least 40 other youth in a school building and described how Breivik fired two shots at a locked door before moving on.

Meanwhile, a man was taken to hospital on Tuesday with serious injuries after setting fire to himself outside the court. He did not, however, reach the entrance to the court, where security has been stepped up since the trial opened on April 16.

The motive and identity of the man were not immediately known, but Kjell Kvarme of the Oslo police told reporters they doubted it was linked to the Breivik trial.

Social welfare

The NTB news agency later reported that the man had visited his attorney's office and left documents there for safe-keeping "in case something serious happened to him." The report said it appeared his application for social welfare had been rejected.

Prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh said she was convinced that the security measures were sufficient.

Last week, a spectator was evicted from the public gallery after he threw a shoe at Breivik and shouted "killer" at him. The shoe hit one of Breivik's defence attorneys.

The shoe-thrower, a Kurd from northern Iraq, heard the autopsy report on his younger brother, who was one of the 69 people who died on Utoya.

A key issue in the trial, which is expected to last until June, is whether or not Breivik will be considered accountable for his actions. Two psychiatric teams have reached conflicting conclusions on his mental health.

Oslo daily VG on Tuesday reported that a second team of psychiatrists who evaluated Breivik had concluded he appeared "more paranoid" in court, but they still considered him accountable.