Britain pays silent tribute to war dead

2014-11-09 16:16
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II listens during the service of remembrance at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. (Tim Ireland, AP)

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II listens during the service of remembrance at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. (Tim Ireland, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

London - Queen Elizabeth II led Britain in paying silent tribute to the Commonwealth war dead on Remembrance Sunday, an annual event made particularly poignant this year on the centenary of the start of WWI. 

The 88-year-old monarch, senior royals and politicians including Prime Minister David Cameron laid wreaths at the Cenotaph national war memorial in London, as hundreds of veterans from more than 70 years of conflicts looked on.

Security was tighter than normal amid heightened fears of the risk of a terror attack, but there was no change to the customary programme of marches and military music.

A 13-pounder WWI gun was fired at 11:00 GMT, marking the start of two minutes' silence observed by millions of people across Britain and at British military bases across the world.

Remembrance Sunday is the Sunday closest to Armistice Day on 11 November,  the anniversary of the 1918 signing of the peace that ended fighting in the war. 

More than one million people from the British empire died in the four-year conflict, but the day has become a time to remember all the troops killed in wars since then.

It is thought there has been only one year - 1968 - without a British military fatality on active service since the end of WWII in 1945.

Cameron said the ceremonies were "particularly poignant" as 2014 is the centenary of the start of WWI, as well as the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings and the end of Britain's combat role in Afghanistan.

"Today we stand united to remember the courageous men and women who have served our country, defended our freedoms and kept us safe," he said ahead of the event.

"We remember all those who have fallen and those who have risked their lives to protect us."

Security 'intensified' 

Security this year was "intensified" following fears the event could be a target for attack, according to the head of Britain's armed forces, Chief of Defence Staff General Nicholas Houghton.

Police arrested four men overnight on Thursday on suspicion of "Islamist-related terrorism", which media reports said concerned a plot intended for British soil.

"Certainly the proximity of the sense of threat for this weekend, which has intensified the nature of the security that's attendant on it, has contributed to quite a different feel about this year," Houghton told BBC television.

The national terror level was also raised in August to "severe", meaning an attack is "highly likely", due to fears over the threat of jihadists fighting in Iraq and Syria.

Scotland Yard said it had an "appropriate and proportionate" policing plan in place for the London commemorations.

New memorial for Iraq, Afghan wars 

The queen laid the first wreath followed by her husband Prince Philip, 93, her son and heir Prince Charles and grandson Prince William, all of whom have served in the military.

Forty-six high commissioners from Commonwealth countries then each laid a wreath.

And in a sign of the improved relations between Ireland and Britain, the Irish ambassador laid a wreath for the first time in honour of thousands of Irishmen who died in British uniform.

Meanwhile Cameron has launched plans for a £1m national memorial to the more than 220 000 troops who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001, 632 of whom died.

Cameron wants the memorial to be opened in 2016, a decade after British troops first entered Afghanistan's troubled southern Helmand province.

In the run-up to Remembrance Sunday, many Britons wear a paper red poppy symbolising the flowers which grew on French and Belgian battlefields during WWI. 

This year, the moat of the Tower of London has been filled with 888 246 ceramic poppies in a striking art exhibit to mark every single British soldier who died during that conflict.

An estimated four million people will see the installation, called "Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red", before it is taken down at the end of November.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.