News24

British royals cancel visit

2009-02-06 20:06

London - Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip have cancelled a state visit to an undisclosed destination next month amid concerns over the prince's health, reports said on Friday.

The BBC said the March visit had been called off due to "other commitments" facing the royal couple.

The broadcaster said Buckingham Palace insisted the trip had not been cancelled for health reasons, but other reports said the 87-year-old prince's health was causing concern.

Earlier this week Philip was forced to cancel his third engagement in eight days after injuring his back while carriage driving.

Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, had been due to visit a health centre in Norfolk, eastern England, but aides said he was not feeling well enough to attend.

The previous day he failed to attend a charity function, and last week he pulled out of an engagement at a school and also missed a church service on Sunday.

The queen, 82, last pulled out of a tour following the September 11 2001 attacks and during the Iraq conflict in 2003.

Buckingham Palace was unavailable for comment.