Bulgaria: Bombing probe encouraging

2012-08-17 20:00
Bulgaria bus blast (AP)

Bulgaria bus blast (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sofia - A month after the suicide bombing of an Israeli tourist bus in Bulgaria, investigators have made no major breakthroughs but progress has been encouraging, the country's interior minister said on Friday.

"It is only expected that it will take time, sometimes years, to uncover the whole mechanism behind the attack. But we are encouraged by the work we accomplished in the last 30 days," Tsvetan Tsvetanov said in an interview.

Identifying the foreign bomber, who killed five Israeli tourists and the Bulgarian bus driver as well as himself in the 18 July attack at Burgas airport, has been the primary task.

No organisation has taken responsibility for the attack so far but Tsvetanov said on Friday it was "categorically" established that it had been plotted outside Bulgaria.

Picture circulated

"The perpetrator was almost 100% a foreigner... [who] had been present in the country since 29 June," Tsvetanov said.

Footage from an airport security camera, the bomber's severed head and a fake driving licence from the US state of Michigan in the name of Jacque Felipe Martin recovered from the site helped police to piece together a composite portrait.

The image shows a young man in his late 20s or early 30s with fair skin, light-coloured eyes, high forehead and shortish dark brown hair, even if he appeared to be wearing a wig during the attack and on the fake licence picture.

Global policing body Interpol has circulated the picture accompanied with a Black notice used to seek information on unidentified corpses but the attacker has remained unknown to date.

Outside Europe

Police also released this week a computer-generated image of the assailant's suspected accomplice, a stouter person with a much darker complexion, who according to the minister "was presumably linked to the preparation and implementation of the terrorist act".

The conclusion followed the discovery a week earlier of a fake US Michigan driving licence similar to that found on the bomber, whose owner named as Ralph William Rico was also obviously pictured with a wig, Tsvetanov said.

"The two [documents] were made in the same place, outside Bulgaria and I can also say outside Europe," the minister added.

Valuable information has also come from analysis of the bomb itself, he added, with parts of it resembling "a device used in such an attack in a different country", without saying which attack or which country.

"This adds to the conclusion that it could have been made abroad. Of course, the possibility remains to find the same chemical substances on Bulgarian territory," he added.


A technical investigation of the site had proved that the bomb, containing about 3kg of trotile explosive, went off outside the bus near its front luggage compartment.

"If it were inside the bus, the victims would have been many more," Tsvetanov said.

The explosion had also occurred when the backpack holding the bomb was still on the attacker's shoulders, Tsvetanov added, not ruling out the possibility of detonation by error or a remote control detonation
Israel has blamed Iran and its "terrorist proxy" Hezbollah for the attack, the deadliest on Israelis abroad since 2004, although Bulgaria has said that there is no evidence of this. Iran has denied any involvement.

Tsvetanov would not comment on responsibility-related questions on Friday, citing lack of enough evidence from the investigation and concerns about "suggestions that might threaten national security".

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    interpol  |  bulgaria  |  israel  |  bulgaria bus blast

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

VIDEO: The other leaders in this team have stepped up - Habana
VIDEO: 5 scintillating RWC tries from the weekend
World Cup 'curse' talk annoys Cameron
Meyer taking no chances
Traffic Alerts

Are you burning the candle at both ends? Listen to your body and your emotional reactions. Know when to slow down or stop. It is a...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.