Castro called mother of victim - report

2013-09-06 21:04
Ariel Castro (Tony Dejak, AP)

Ariel Castro (Tony Dejak, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

Cleveland kidnapper commits suicide

2013-09-04 14:47

Ariel Castro, the Ohio man who kidnapped and imprisoned three young women for around a decade, was found dead in his prison cell in an apparent suicide. Watch.WATCH

Columbus - Kidnapper Ariel Castro says he called the mother of one of his victims while she was in captivity and told her she was OK, according to a videotaped FBI interrogation.

Castro also told investigators that authorities missed opportunities for capturing him.

The kidnapping and repeated rapes of three young women over about a decade shocked Americans when the women escaped from Castro's home in May.

Castro, 53, was a month into his life sentence for the crimes when he killed himself on Tuesday.

Castro says in the video obtained by NBC and reported on Friday that he called the mother of Amanda Berry and told her that Berry was OK and that she was his wife now.

He said he hung up, and they didn't have a conversation.

Berry's mother died before Berry escaped.

Castro told investigators that video surveillance near the school of victim Gina DeJesus should have tipped police to him.

And he said a girlfriend noticed a TV on in a room occupied by victim Michelle Knight and got him worrying he might be caught.

A message was left with representatives of the victims on Friday morning.

Two state reviews of Castro's death are underway, Ohio prisons spokesperson Jo-Ellen Smith said. One is looking into the suicide, and the other is examining whether Castro received proper medical and mental health care.

A representative of Castro's family had been expected to claim his body on Thursday, the Franklin County coroner said.

Castro was sentenced 1 August to life in prison plus 1 000 years after pleading guilty to 937 counts, including kidnapping and rape, in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

"I'm not a monster. I'm sick," he told the judge at sentencing.

Castro's captives - Berry, DeJesus and Knight - disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20. They were rescued from Castro's run-down house when Berry broke through a screen door.

Investigators said the women were bound, repeatedly raped and deprived of food and bathroom facilities.

Read more on:    fbi  |  gina dejesus  |  ariel castro  |  amanda berry  |  us  |  cleveland kidnappings

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.