Clinton 'not seeking to head World Bank'
Washington - US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will not be a candidate to lead the World Bank, her spokesperson said on Wednesday, after president Robert Zoellick announced he will step down in June.
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said the United States would nominate a candidate to lead the global development lender following Zoellick's decision but Clinton was quick to dampen speculation that it might be her.
"The secretary has addressed this issue many times since last year. She has said this is not happening. Her view has not changed," her spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, told reporters.
During a trip to Zambia last June, Clinton said she was "not pursuing" the top job at the World Bank after a news report maintained she was.
"With respect to the World Bank, I have had no discussions with anyone," Clinton said at the time. "I have evidenced no interest to anyone, I do not have any interest and I am not pursuing that position."
Clinton will have completed a full term as secretary of state in January by which time the results of November elections will have determined if President Barack Obama has won a second term or a Republican successor is to take over.
When asked if Clinton and Obama had ever discussed the Bank job in the last year, Nuland replied: "I can't speak to that. But I think the secretary has been very clear about her view with regard to this, and that hasn't changed."