Cruise captain bids for leniency

2013-07-17 22:45
(Photo: file, AFP)

(Photo: file, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Grosseto - The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship requested a plea bargain deal at his trial in Italy on Wednesday over a shipwreck that claimed 32 lives.

Francesco Schettino's lawyers asked that their client serve three years and five months in prison in exchange for admitting responsibility for the disaster.

Dubbed "Italy's most hated man" by the tabloids, Schettino is accused of multiple manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing environmental damage off the island of Giglio.

The 52-year-old faces up to 20 years in prison.

The plea bargain is seen as unlikely to be accepted since a previous request has already been turned down by a judge for preliminary investigations.

Chief prosecutor Francesco Verusio brushed off the request and told reporters there was "no doubt" of Schettino's guilt and the only question was "how long a sentence he will get".

Survivors of the January 2012 tragedy said they were still haunted by the memories of that night and wanted the trial to finally shed light on what exactly went wrong.

The trial began last week but was immediately postponed after Schettino's defenders adhered to a national lawyers' strike and could last for months.

The 290m Costa Concordia crashed into rocks just off Giglio on the night of 13 January 2012 with 4 229 people from 70 countries on board.

Massimiliano Gabrielli, a lawyer for some survivors who are suing for compensation, accused Costa of "choosing to save the ship instead of saving people".

He said the trial could last more than a year, while prosecutors said it should be completed by early 2014.

Five other people have been charged over the disaster, including the ship's Indonesian helmsman and the head of Costa Crociere's crisis unit.

The ship still lies beached on its side, its rusting frame dwarfed by blue cranes and a floating hotel for divers and salvage workers.

The vessel is due to be righted in September but officials are concerned that its submerged side may be more damaged than previously thought.
Read more on:    concordia  |  italy  |  travel

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.