Delhi blasts death toll at 62
New Delhi - The death toll from weekend bombings of two New Delhi markets rose on Monday to 62 with one of the scores of wounded succumbing to his injuries, the home ministry said.
"One person died in hospital which puts the number of the people killed in the attacks to 62 now," said a spokesperson from the ministry's control room.
Doctors from the state-run Safdarjang Hospital identified the latest victim as a man.
The spokesperson said 89 of around 210 people injured when powerful blasts ripped through the crowded Sarojini Nagar and Paharganj markets on Saturday were still in city hospitals.
"Many others have been already discharged after treatment but we still have at least eight patients in very critical condition," said a doctor from the hospital's emergency services.
Most casualties occurred in Sarojini Nagar where the explosion ignited liquid petroleum gas bottles kept at fast food stalls for cooking, police said.
The ministry spokesperson said officials were attempting to give an accurate breakdown of gender and age of those killed but the task was difficult because some bodies had been badly burnt or dismembered.
The little-known Islami Inqilabi Mahaz (Islamic Revolutionary Group) has claimed responsibility for the blasts, the bloodiest terror attack in the Indian capital city of 14 million people.