'Detained asylum seekers will never live in Australia'

2015-01-16 12:11
Sri Lankan asylum seekers in Australia. (Lakruwan Wanniarachchi, AFP)

Sri Lankan asylum seekers in Australia. (Lakruwan Wanniarachchi, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sydney - Asylum seekers kept at an Australian-run detention centre in Papua New Guinea's Manus Island will never be allowed into Australia, despite recent protests, the government told reporters on Friday.

New Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said there had been no weakening of the Australian government's resolve since he took over from Scott Morrison in December.

Dutton said he was worried about the "volatile" situation at Manus Island where asylum seekers are reported to have sewn their lips together and swallowed razor blades and washing powder as part of a protest that began on Tuesday, broadcaster ABC and The Guardian Australia reported.

Around 500 of the 1 030 asylum seekers being kept in the camp are reported to be on a hunger strike. Guardian Australia reported several men have collapsed saying they didn't care if they died. Dutton confirmed there had been acts of self-harm at the camp and one detainee was being treated outside the camp.

Dutton said people outside the camp had been encouraging the behaviour by telling the detainees it could help them get to Australia.

"My message today is very clear to the transferees on Manus and in other facilities: whilst there has been a change of minister the absolute resolve of me as the new minister and of the government is to make sure that for those transferees they will never arrive in Australia," Dutton said.

The government says those deemed to be refugees can settle in PNG or Cambodia. Some detainees have reportedly said they fear for their safety if placed in the PNG community.

Meanwhile an Iranian asylum seeker who has been on a long hunger strike in Darwin was sent back to the detention centre after he was treated in hospital.

The 33-year-old man has spent four years in detention and stopped eating two months ago after he was refused a visa.

Read more on:    australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.