Drive-by shootings rock Sydney

2012-04-17 12:20
Sydney - An escalating gun war in Sydney saw five overnight drive-by shooting attacks, Australian police said on Tuesday, as they struggled to bring the gangland violence under control.

There have been eight shootings across the city in four days and 19 so far this month, mostly in Sydney's west and southwest.

Three homes and two tattoo parlours were sprayed with bullets in the latest attacks. No one was hurt but five young children were lucky to escape injury in one of the houses.

Police believe a dispute between two biker gangs - the Nomads and Hells Angels - was behind four of the five attacks.

Assistant Police Commissioner Frank Mennilli said the police were working on stamping out the violence.

"This is where we have just individuals who've got a total disregard for the law of this state and its community," he told ABC radio.

"I can assure you and I can assure the community these people just better be ready, because we'll be knocking on their door very shortly."

Rewards

However, few arrests have been made in the rising wave of gun crime with detectives frustrated by the reluctance of many victims to co-operate.

New South Wales state opposition leader John Robertson urged the government to authorise police rewards to any person who provides information that leads to an arrest and conviction.

"This gangland war is going to continue and people in Sydney are going to continue to live in fear," he told reporters.

New South Wales State Premier Barry O'Farrell defended the police response.

"I share the public's concern that even though these are clearly targeted shootings, only one stray bullet is needed to seriously injure or kill someone who is innocent," he said.

"But what we need to do is also support and recognise the progress that police have made.

"Since the start of this year, 74 arrests state-wide in relation to firearm offences, 147 weapons seized and 21 500 rounds of ammunition. I have great confidence in the New South Wales police."

More needs to be done

Federal Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said more needed to be done to halt the illegal trade in firearms with more than 10 000 handguns on the streets of Australia.

He suggested a firearms unit be established to collate intelligence gathered by customs and federal and state police on the illegal gun trade.

"We already have that with drugs, and it works very well," he said.

Read more on:    australia  |  gun control

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.