EU backs naval mission to end migrant crisis

2015-05-18 21:03
(Carl Osmond, AP)

(Carl Osmond, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Brussels - EU nations approved plans on Monday for an unprecedented naval mission starting next month to fight human traffickers responsible for a flood of migrants crossing the Mediterranean from Libya.

Launched after a series of deadly shipwrecks in which hundreds of people drowned, the military operation will involve European warships and surveillance aircraft being deployed off the North African coast.

But the EU is still waiting for a UN resolution that will allow it to destroy boats that belong to people smugglers in Libyan waters, the epicentre of the humanitarian disaster unfolding on Europe's southern shores.

"Decision just taken to establish the EU naval operation to disrupt the business model of smugglers and traffickers networks," EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini said on Twitter after a meeting of the bloc's foreign and defence ministers.

The military operation is part of a bigger EU blueprint for a migrant crisis that has seen more than 1 800 people dying this year while trying to make the dangerous crossing in flimsy dinghies and fishing boats.

More than 5 000 people have died in the past 18 months.

Mission to launch in June 

Mogherini later told a press conference that operational planning for the EU Navfor Med mission - to be based in Rome and led by Italian Rear Admiral Enrico Credendino - would start immediately.

She said it could be formally launched in June after a summit of European leaders, adding that she hoped for UN Security Council approval so the EU could "launch the operation in all its phases".

Brussels was also seeking approval from Libya despite the political chaos there following the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, with two rival governments and the rising threat of Islamic State militants.

The final phase of destroying smugglers' boats in Libyan waters is the most controversial, with the organisation Human Rights Watch describing it as "utter madness".

Pressure has grown on governments to act after an overcrowded migrant boat sank in the Mediterranean last month, leaving more than 750 dead in a case that sparked international outrage.

Nato head Jens Stoltenberg, also attending the meeting in Brussels, said the US-led military alliance was ready to assist but the EU had not yet asked for help.

He also warned that "terrorists" from Islamic extremist groups could also be making the crossing by "trying to hide, trying to blend in among the migrants".

Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Spain have already promised to deploy warships for the mission, a rare joint EU military venture for a bloc that was formed to promote peace after WWII.

Brussels wants to take the operation step-by-step, starting by collecting intelligence on the traffickers by using radar, satellite pictures and reconnaissance flights and raiding unflagged boats.

British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said ministers needed to put together a complete programme, with the current plan "an important first step". He said cooperation with Libya was also key.

Divisions over migrant quotas

The rest of the European Commission's migrant plan remains dogged by divisions.

Suggestions of a quota system to share the migrant burden more evenly among member states, instead of relying on Mediterranean nations to deal with asylum seekers, has had some countries up in arms.

Spain joined Britain and France in rejecting the idea Monday.

Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia Margallo said the Commission's call for solidarity had to be "proportionate, just and realistic", adding that it took no account of Spain's high unemployment and the "huge effort we are making to control migration from Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal which impacts the whole EU".

Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia have also opposed the quota system. Britain already has an opt-out but says economic migrants should be pushed back to where they came from.

The EU has also pledged to boost funding for and step up non-military search and rescue efforts in the Mediterranean.

Read more on:    un  |  eu  |  libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.