Explosion 2nd for Indian sub in 3 years

2013-08-14 15:01
Indian navy sailors work at a naval dockyard where a submarine caught fire and sank after an explosion in Mumbai, India. (Rafiq Maqbool, AP)

Indian navy sailors work at a naval dockyard where a submarine caught fire and sank after an explosion in Mumbai, India. (Rafiq Maqbool, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


Indian submarine explodes in Mumbai

2013-08-14 10:59

An explosion and subsequent fire has gutted an Indian Navy submarine docked at the high security naval dockyard in Mumbai. Watch.WATCH

New Delhi — An Indian navy submarine crippled on Wednesday by a pair of explosions that killed at least some of the 18 sailors aboard had been damaged in another deadly blast in 2010 and had been brought back into service only a few months ago.

Indian officials said there had been no contact with any of the sailors since the explosions, which lit up the sky above the Mumbai navy base where the submarine was docked.

"We hope for the best but we have to prepare for the worst," Admiral DK Joshi, the navy chief, told reporters in Mumbai.

The explosions in the submarine's torpedo compartment sent a huge fireball into the air and sent nearby sailors jumping into the sea in panic. It is shaping up to be another embarrassment for India's military, which has been hit with a corruption scandal as it races to modernise its forces.

Defence Minister AK Antony said some sailors were killed but gave no other details.

"It's a loss to all of us. It's a tragedy," Antony told reporters in New Delhi before leaving for Mumbai to assess the situation.

Fire extinguished in two hours

Joshi said navy divers had opened one hatch on the submarine but had not yet been able to enter the vessel. Because the submarine was docked, a unit of navy watchmen was on board when the blast occurred and not the normal crew, he said.

At least some weaponry exploded in the near-simultaneous blasts, Joshi added.

Local TV news station Headlines Today showed a video of the explosion on the diesel-powered submarine, apparently filmed by a bystander. An enormous ball of red and yellow fire rose hundreds of feet into the air.

About a dozen fire engines rushed to the dockyard and extinguished the fire in about two hours, officials said.

Afterward, the sub was nearly submerged at its berth in the naval dockyard.

Navy spokesperson Narendra Vispute said the cause of the explosion was being investigated.

The 16-year-old Russian-made submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, also suffered an explosion in 2010 that killed one sailor and injured two others. The navy said that accident was caused by a faulty battery valve that leaked hydrogen, causing an explosion in the vessel's battery compartment.


The sub recently returned from Russia after a 2½ year refit, overhaul and upgrade, said Rahul Bedi, an analyst for the independent Jane's Information Group. Joshi, the navy official, said it returned to India in April, and had been certified for use by the Indian navy.

Wednesday's accident came at a time when India is facing a shortage of submarines because of obsolescence, Bedi said.

The government has authorised the navy to have up to 24 conventional submarines, but it has just 14, including eight Russian Kilo-class and four German Type HDW209 boats. Bedi said five of those will be retired by 2014-15.

Last year, India acquired a Russian Nerpa nuclear submarine on a 10-year lease at a cost of nearly $1bn. India also has designed and built its own nuclear submarine. The navy activated the atomic reactor on that vessel on Saturday and could deploy it in the next two years.

India has steadily built up its naval capabilities in recent years, spurred by its rivalry with neighbouring China. But the country's military has encountered scandal as it attempts to bulk up.

In February, India put on hold a $750m deal to buy helicopters from Italian aerospace and defence giant Finmeccanica and its British subsidiary, AgustaWestland, following charges of kickbacks and bribes. Three of the 12 helicopters were delivered in December and the rest have been put on hold.

Giuseppe Orsihe, the former head of Finmeccanica, is facing trial in Italy for his alleged role in the payment of bribes to secure the helicopter contract.

Read more on:    india

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.