FBI releases video of Boston bomb suspects

2013-04-19 07:41
This image taken from a video released by the FBI shows a man wearing a white cap walking along the route of the Boston Marathon on April 15. (FBI, AFP)

This image taken from a video released by the FBI shows a man wearing a white cap walking along the route of the Boston Marathon on April 15. (FBI, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


FBI releases video of Boston suspects

2013-04-19 08:45

The FBI released pictures and video on Thursday of two men suspected of planting the Boston marathon bombs. Watch.WATCH

Boston - The FBI released pictures and video on Thursday of two men suspected of planting the Boston marathon bombs, appealing for help to identify the pair who were carrying large backpacks.

The dramatic twist in the hunt came just after President Barack Obama vowed to the people of Boston that the "evil" bombers behind the three dead and about 180 wounded, would be brought to justice.

Investigators consider the suspects to be "armed and extremely dangerous," said Rick DesLauriers, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) chief in Boston, warning that no-one should approach them.

Authorities stepped up checks on the Canadian border as they released the images. And the clamour to see the pictures was so great that the FBI's website, www.fbi.gov, crashed minutes later.

Both appeared to be young men, one dressed in a white baseball cap and the other in a black cap. But the FBI gave no details of their identities or origin, naming them only as Suspect One and Suspect Two.

Two bombs were placed around the marathon finish line on Monday, spraying nails, ball bearings and other metal fragments into the crowds, many of whom suffered horrific injuries.

"Identifying and locating those responsible is now our highest priority," DesLauriers said. "The images from Monday are indelible and the horror of that day will remain with us forever."

‘The face of evil’

The men are seen in the video walking calmly, one a few paces behind the other, weaving between crowds on Boston's Boylston Street where the race finished.

DesLauriers said other images indicated the man in the white cap placed a bomb outside a restaurant in the street in the minutes before the blasts tore through the crowds.

At a special service at Boston's Cathedral of the Holy Cross, Obama vowed: "Yes, we will find you, and yes, you will face justice."

"We will find you, we will hold you accountable," he told a congregation of 2 000, including relatives of the dead, survivors of the blasts, rescuers and city leaders.

"If they sought to intimidate us, to terrorise us," Obama said, then "it should be pretty clear by now that they picked the wrong city to do it."

Obama met the family of Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old who was killed, at the cathedral before the service, and later went to Massachusetts General Hospital to talk to some of the wounded.

Americans had seen "the face of evil" in the attacks, the president told the service where Muslim, Jewish, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Greek Orthodox religious leaders spoke.

$10m in funds raised

No claim of responsibility has been made in connection with the worst terror attack in the United States since the September 11 atrocities in 2001.

The FBI says it has launched a "worldwide" hunt. An AFP reporter who crossed into Canada from Vermont State said US agents were checking all cars and trucks and asking whether drivers had been in Boston.

The FBI had already released photographs of the metal remnants of a pressure cooker believed to have been used as a bomb.

More than 100 of the wounded have left Boston hospitals and fewer than 10 of those still in hospital remain in critical condition. Some will require new operations, doctors said.

At least 12 people have lost at least one of their legs because of the blast from the bombs.

Boston has held emotional tributes to the dead - eight-year-old Martin Richard, Boston University graduate student Lu Lingzi of China and Campbell, a restaurant manager. Obama paid tribute to all three at the service.

Doctors at Boston Medical Center said a second Chinese student caught in the blast had come out of a coma and was improving. The girl's family was expected in Boston soon.

Meanwhile a special fund set up for victims has raised more than $10m in less than two days, local media reports said.

The One Boston Fund (www.onefundboston.org) was set up on Tuesday by city mayor Thomas Menino and Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick

Read more on:    fbi  |  barack obama  |  us  |  boston explosions

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.