Filipino president snubbed by China

2013-08-29 12:01
President Benigno Aquino (Picture: AFP)

President Benigno Aquino (Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Manila - The Philippine government said on Thursday that China has withdrawn an invitation to President Benigno Aquino III to visit a trade fair in an apparent snub as the two countries are locked in a territorial dispute.

A spokesperson for the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs, Raul Hernandez, said in a statement that Aquino has decided not to go ahead with the daylong visit to the China-Asean Expo scheduled for Tuesday in Nanning.

"The president has decided not to proceed ... taking into consideration China's request for the president to visit China at a more conducive time," Hernandez said.

He added that the Philippines "will continue to abide by our principled position that bilateral relations can advance despite differences".

China's Foreign Ministry in Beijing did not immediately respond to request for comment from The Associated Press.

Hernandez said that China had invited the Philippines to send a high-level delegation to visit Nanning a few months ago.

Aquino on Wednesday told reporters he would go, adding: "You may be surprised, I will travel next week. It's quite a long trip to China. I will leave at 5 in the morning and will be back at 5 in the afternoon".

"I don't want to overstay our welcome there," he said.

According to Hernandez, China informed the Philippines late on Wednesday that Aquino should not proceed with the trip.

The Philippines is this year's "country of honour" at the trade fair, which takes place in China every year to highlight trade exchanges between Beijing and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

The Philippines and China have been embroiled in an increasingly antagonistic territorial dispute in the South China Sea.

Last year, China seized a shoal near the north-western coast of the Philippines, and this year demanded that the Philippine navy withdraw from Second Thomas Shoal father south.

The Philippines has further angered China by seeking UN arbitration to solve the disputes.

Dwarfed by China's mammoth military, the Philippines also has started negotiations with Washington to allow a larger number of US troops to have access to local military camps, where they could also pre-position ships, assault helicopters and high-tech surveillance aircraft like the P3 Orion in close proximity to the South China Sea.

Read more on:    benigno aquino iii  |  philippines  |  china

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.