Flowers, tears as families mourn Sewol ferry disaster

2015-04-15 06:34
A girl places a flower in front of portraits of the victims of South Korea's Sewol ferry disaster at the Gwanghwamun square where relatives of the victims are camped for a sit-down in Seoul. (Jung Yeon-Je, AFP)

A girl places a flower in front of portraits of the victims of South Korea's Sewol ferry disaster at the Gwanghwamun square where relatives of the victims are camped for a sit-down in Seoul. (Jung Yeon-Je, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Jindo - More than 100 relatives of victims of South Korea's Sewol ferry disaster tearfully cast flowers into the sea Wednesday at an emotional memorial event on the eve of the tragedy's first anniversary.

In bright sunshine and on a calm sea, the relatives were taken by boat to the large yellow buoy that marks the site where the ferry sank on April 16 last year, with the loss of 304 lives - most of them high school students.

Lying on the sea bed 40m below, the sunken ferry remains a highly sensitive topic of heated debate a year on - not least over the question of whether it should be raised to the surface.

Victims' families have threatened to boycott a semi-official memorial service on Thursday unless the government makes an immediate commitment to salvaging the 6 825-tonne Sewol - an operation that would cost an estimated $110m.

The relatives also continue to stage regular protests calling for a fully independent inquiry into the sinking, arguing that a committee created to probe the causes has been compromised by the inclusion of government officials in key posts.

The shock accident - which plunged the whole nation into a months-long period of intense mourning -- was largely blamed on the ship's illegal redesign and overloading.

But it also laid bare deeper-rooted problems of corruption, lax safety standards and regulatory failings attributed to the country's relentless push for economic growth.

Flowers and tears

As the boat carrying the families on Wednesday neared the site of the accident off the southern island of Jindo, weeping relatives lined the deck on both sides, clutching white flowers and small mementos of their loved ones.

Nearly all wore the yellow jackets that have become something of a uniform of solidarity and grief.

At the site itself, the sound of crying and wailing grew louder, and some relatives had to be restrained as they climbed the lower rungs of the deck railing after tossing their flowers into the water, along with yellow paper boats and sweets and snacks that their children liked.

The overloaded Sewol was carrying 476 people, including 325 students from the same high school in Ansan city, when it sank. Only 75 students survived.

The emergency response to the disaster was widely criticised for being slow, uncoordinated and unfocused, and prompted President Park Geun-Hye to vow a complete overhaul of national safety standards.

Park's approval ratings have only recently started to recover after plummeting after the tragedy, and there has been fresh criticism on social media over her decision to leave for an official tour of South America on the day of the anniversary.

A presidential spokesperson said she had no information on whether Park would do anything to mark the anniversary before her departure on Thursday afternoon.

Raising the ferry

A total of 295 bodies were recovered from the ferry, but nine remained unaccounted for when divers finally called off the dangerous search in November.

The families of those still missing have spearheaded the calls for the ferry to be brought to the surface.

Thursday's main anniversary event was to be a gathering of families and officials at the memorial set up for the students in Ansan.

But Yoo Gyoung-Geun, spokesperson for the main group representing the victims' relatives, said on Tuesday the government should first promise to raise the Sewol, or risk a boycott.

More than 50 people have been put on trial on charges linked to the disaster, including 15 crew members - who were among the first to climb into lifeboats.

The Sewol's captain was jailed in November for 36 years for gross negligence and dereliction of duty, while three other senior crew members were sentenced to jail terms of between 15 and 30 years.

Yoo said it was not enough to shift responsibility for the entire disaster onto a few individuals, blaming "broader and more systematic and structural issues".

Read more on:    south korea  |  maritime accidents

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.