News24

France finally buries gunman

2012-03-29 19:55

Toulouse - The body of a gunman who claimed responsibility for France's worst terror attacks in years has been buried.

The burial on Thursday night came after days of painful debate about what to do with the body of 23-year-old Mohamed Merah, a Frenchman of Algerian origin.

His Algerian-born father wanted him buried in Algeria, but authorities there refused the request.

Police say Merah filmed himself killing three schoolchildren, a rabbi and three paratroopers earlier this month. Merah, who espoused radical Islam and said he had links to al-Qaeda, was shot in the head last week after a stand-off with police in Toulouse.

Abdallah Zekri of the French Muslim Council said he was buried in the Muslim section of a cemetery in the Toulouse neighbourhood of Cornebarrieu.

Comments
  • spartanx93 - 2012-03-29 20:53

    dump his body in international waters!

  • pages:
  • 1