France staggers over sexual abuse of hungry kids

2015-05-03 17:20

(File) (Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris - France's defence minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has urged soldiers "to give themselves up" if they are guilty of sexually assaulting hungry Central African kids, as questions remain on why the probe into the alleged crimes is taking so long.

Le Drien said in an interview published on Sunday that he felt "disgust" and "betrayal" when he received a leaked UN report in July last year alleging soldiers dispatched to the country to restore order after a 2013 coup had sexually assaulted kids in exchange for food.

"When a French soldier is on a mission, he is France," the minister told the JDD weekly.

"If one of them has committed such acts, they must immediately turn themselves in."

Judicial probe

The abuse reportedly took place at a centre for displaced people near the airport of the Central African capital Bangui between December 2013 - when the French operation began - and June 2014.

UN rights investigators conducted a probe into the allegations in the spring of 2014 and a UN employee later turned the report over to French authorities because he felt his bosses had failed to take action.

Le Drian said he immediately gave the report to the courts, adding that an internal army probe into the matter was conducted and finished in August.

"It is naturally available to the courts, which are tasked with conducting the judicial probe," he said.

Asked why the investigation opened by prosecutors was still not finished nine months after the ministry received the leaked report, Le Drian said it was a "complex investigation.

"Since the alleged events, most soldiers have left that theatre of operations, but that must not stop the courts from doing their job swiftly."

Few have been identified

According to the JDD, which saw a copy of the leaked UN report, the six children testifying against the soldiers have given very precise descriptions of tattoos and nicknames.

But a French judicial source said last week that of the 14 soldiers implicated in the probe, only a few had actually been identified.

Soldiers from Chad and Equatorial Guinea are also accused, said Paula Donovan of the AIDS-Free World advocacy group which saw the report.

"One of the children interviewed said that he had seen his friend, aged 9 or 10, with two soldiers from Equatorial Guinea," said Donovan.

Read more on:    france  |  sexual abuse

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.