Hong Kong protestors, police clash; 40 held

2014-12-01 16:17
(File photo, AFP)

(File photo, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Hong Kong - Pro-democracy protestors clashed with police on Monday as they tried to surround Hong Kong government headquarters to revitalise their flagging movement for democratic reform.

Repeating scenes that have become familiar since the movement began in late September, protestors carrying umbrellas - which have become symbols of the pro-democracy movement - battled police armed with pepper spray, batons and riot shields.

Hundreds of protestors pushed past police lines on the other side of the complex from the protest site, blocked traffic on a main road, but were stopped by police barricades from going down a side road to chief executive Leung Chun-Ying's office.

The protestors, many wearing surgical masks, hard hats and safety goggles and chanting, "I want true democracy," said they wanted to occupy the road to prevent Leung and other government officials from getting to work in the morning.

At one point, police charged the crowd, aggressively pushing demonstrators back with pepper spray and batons, after some protestors started pelting them with water bottles and other objects.

Police later fell back, letting demonstrators re-occupy the road. At dawn, police charged again and cleared the protestors from some areas around the government headquarters.

40 protestors arrested

Police Senior Superintendent Tsui Wai-hung said 40 protestors had been arrested, adding that authorities would not let the road, a major thoroughfare, remain blocked.

"We will open up this road," Tsui told reporters.

A government statement said 11 police had been injured but didn't give a total injury count.

"The government spokesperson reiterated that society would not accept the illegal acts of violent radicals who repeatedly pushed police officers and charged their cordon lines during scuffles," the statement read.

Protestors said they were taking action to force a response from Hong Kong's government, which has made little effort to address their demands that it scrap a plan by China's Communist leaders to use a panel of Beijing-friendly elites to screen candidates for Hong Kong's leader in inaugural 2017 elections.

The government statement compared attempts to ignore the Beijing-dictated plan to "building castles in the air" and said it "would only delay the constitutional and democratic development of Hong Kong."

Hundreds remain entrenched in the main downtown protest site, building tents, work tables and other infrastructure, even as energy has diminished on the streets since the first surge of demonstrations in late September. Numbers typically dwindle in the daytime, with many protestors going to work or school before returning in the evenings.

Aggressive tactics

Authorities last week used an aggressive operation to clear out the protest camp on the busy streets of Hong Kong's crowded Mong Kok district, one of three protest zones around the semi-autonomous city.

"The action was aimed at paralysing the government's operation," said Alex Chow, secretary general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students. "The government has been stalling ... and we believe we need to focus pressure on the government headquarters, the symbol of the government's power."

The federation is one of two student groups that have played important roles in organising the protest movement in the former British colony.

"I really want to have real elections for Hong Kong because I don't want the Chinese government to control us, our minds, anything," said protester Ernie Kwok, 21, a maintenance worker and part-time student.

In Britain, a lawmakers' committee said the Chinese Embassy had warned that its members would be refused entry if they tried to go ahead with a visit to Hong Kong as part of an inquiry into the city's relations with the UK since the handover of sovereignty to China in 1997.

Richard Ottaway, chairperson of Parliament's committee on foreign affairs, said the Chinese authorities were acting in an "overtly confrontational manner." He said he would seek an emergency parliamentary debate on the development.

The Foreign Office called the Chinese message to the lawmakers "regrettable" and said it had expressed its position to the Chinese side "at the most senior levels."

Read more on:    hong kong

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.