ISIS told foiled French attack suspect to 'hit' France

2015-07-17 13:22
(File: AFP)

(File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris - One of the suspects in a foiled attack on a French military base was instructed by an Islamic State militant in Syria to "hit" France, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said on Friday.

The youngest of three suspects in custody - aged only 17 - was given the order when it became clear he would not be able to leave the country to wage jihad in Syria because he was under surveillance, Molins said.

Four young men, including a formal naval signalman, were arrested in dawn raids on Monday, suspected of "planning to commit a terrorist act" at a French military base in the south of the country.

The youngest, 16, was quickly released, but the other three are thought to have been plotting to kidnap and behead a member of the military on film.

The trio was planning to carry out the attack around the end of December or beginning of January 2016, Molins said.

Terrorist threat

According to a security source, all three had been planning to travel to jihadist-controlled areas of Syria but the 17-year-old's mother became concerned about his radicalisation and contacted the authorities.

He was interviewed by counter-terrorism officials and was aware he was under surveillance.

"They claim to be part of Daesh," said a source close to the investigation, using an alternative Arabic acronym to refer to the jihadist Islamic State group that controls swathes of Syria and Iraq.

The three men are expected to be interviewed by a judge on Friday ahead of possible charges.

France remains on high alert more than six months after jihadist attacks in January that claimed 17 lives and started with shootings at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

"We are facing a terrorist threat that we have never seen before - an external threat and an internal threat," said Prime Minister Manuel Valls on Thursday.

Although the foiled assault was planned around the first anniversary of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, none of the three alleged plotters indicated that the date was chosen deliberately for this reason.

Read more on:    isis  |  france

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.