India raises death toll for citizens in hajj stampede to 18

2015-09-26 13:38
Pilgrims walk by the site where pilgrims were crushed and trampled to death during the annual hajj pilgrimage in Mina, Saudi Arabia, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015. The crush killed hundreds of pilgrims and injured hundreds more in Mina, a large valley on

Pilgrims walk by the site where pilgrims were crushed and trampled to death during the annual hajj pilgrimage in Mina, Saudi Arabia, Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015. The crush killed hundreds of pilgrims and injured hundreds more in Mina, a large valley on

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mina - As the hajj religious pilgrims entered its final day Saturday, officials in Saudi Arabia continued to grapple with the aftermath of a deadly stampede that killed at least 719 people.

India's government raised its estimated death toll for Indian citizens from 14 to 18, while Pakistan raised its estimated death toll from eight to 11.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said on Saturday in a press statement that his government was "working with Saudi authorities and family members" to confirm the identities of the deceased and expedite formalities for release of the bodies.

Iran strongly criticises Saudi 

Meanwhile Iran, whose citizens comprised the largest number of fatalities confirmed so far, announced in a state TV broadcast that among those Iranians still missing are Ghazanfar Roknabadi, a former ambassador to Lebanon, as well as two Iranian state TV reporters and a prominent political analyst. According to the TV report, 134 Iranian pilgrims died and 85 were injured in the Thursday incident, while 354 Iranian pilgrims remain missing.

Iran has strongly criticised arch rival Saudi Arabia over the disaster, blaming the Saudi government for "incompetence" and "mismanagement" of the annual hajj - which draws about 2 million pilgrims per year from more than 180 countries.

In the worst hajj disaster in a quarter century, at least 719 people were crushed or trampled to death, while 863 were injured when two huge waves of pilgrims converged Thursday on a street near a religious site in Mina. That followed an accident 11 September in which a storm toppled a crane at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, killing 111 people.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, in New York for the UN General Assembly, questioned whether the Saudi government could be trusted with the responsibility of overseeing the hajj. Rouhani told a group of editors on Friday that both the stampede and the crane collapse suggested "ineptitude" on the part of Saudi authorities, and that they could be viewed as "not sufficiently responsible to be hosting" such large groups of people.

Read more on:    india  |  saudia arabia  |  iran  |  hajj stampede

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.