Insurgent attacks kill 6 Nato staff

2013-04-07 08:24
Afghan flag

Afghan flag

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kandahar - Six Nato personnel including a female US diplomat were killed on Saturday in two separate attacks in Afghanistan, officials said, in the deadliest day for foreign forces this year.

In the southern province of Zabul, a Taliban car bomb struck a Nato convoy killing three troops and two civilian workers, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.

According to a US security source the three soldiers were American and one of the civilian workers was from the US.

An ISAF spokesperson in Kabul confirmed the explosion was a car bomb targeting a military patrol, adding that there were also Afghan civilian casualties.

In addition, an American citizen died in "an insurgent attack" in eastern Afghanistan, a statement from US-forces Afghanistan said without giving any details.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said that one of the dead in the Zabul attack was a female diplomat whom he had met during a visit to Kabul last week.

'Despicable attack'

Kerry said that the American officials and their Afghan colleagues had been travelling to donate books to students at a school in Qalat, the capital of Zabul province, when they were killed in the "despicable attack".

Paying tribute to the unnamed diplomat, he described her as "smart, capable, eager to serve and deeply committed to our country and the difference she was making for the Afghan people".

The Zabul attack left four State Department staffers injured, one critically, according to Kerry.

Ashraf Naseri, the provincial governor of Zabul, told AFP he was on his way to attend an official function in Qalat when he heard the blast.

"One doctor and one civilian were killed and two of my body guards have been injured," he said.

The strikes came as the top US military officer General Martin Dempsey arrived in the country on an unannounced visit and raise troubling questions about the Taliban's strength ahead of the coalition's withdrawal in 2014.

American and Romanian troops are based in the province, according to the ISAF website, but the force did not disclose the victims' nationalities in line with its policy.

Read more on:    nato  |  afghanistan  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.