Iraq ground offensive looms as Baghdad bomb kills 14

2015-02-09 18:15
(Sabah Arar, AFP)

(Sabah Arar, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Baghdad - A top US envoy said Iraqi troops would launch a major ground offensive against the Islamic State group in the coming weeks, as a suicide bomber killed 14 people in Baghdad on Monday.

ISIS spearheaded an offensive that swept through large areas north and west of Baghdad last June, and Iraqi forces are battling to regain ground with support from US-led air strikes.

Jordan announced it has carried out dozens of strikes against the jihadists since Thursday, as it seeks to avenge an airman burned alive by the group.

John Allen, the US coordinator for the anti-ISIS coalition of Western and Arab countries, said on Sunday Iraqi troops would begin a major offensive "in the weeks ahead".

"When the Iraqi forces begin the ground campaign to take back Iraq, the coalition will provide major firepower associated with that," he told Jordan's official Petra news agency.

Iraqi forces have already carried out operations near Baghdad and in Diyala and Salaheddin provinces north of the capital.

ISIS-led militants were stopped short of Baghdad in June and have since been pushed back, but can still carry out deadly attacks.

On Monday, a suicide bomber attacked Baghdad's Shiite-majority Kadhimiyah district, killing at least 14 people and wounding at least 43, officials said.

The bomber struck near pavement vendors in crowded Aden Square in the second suicide bombing to hit the city in three days.

On Saturday, an attack inside a restaurant in the Baghdad Jadida area killed at least 23 people.

Gruesome video


There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Monday's attack, but suicide bombings are almost exclusively carried out by Sunni extremists in Iraq, including ISIS.

Jordanian air force chief Major General Mansour al-Jobour said on Sunday the kingdom had launched 56 strikes against the jihadists since Thursday as part of the US-led air campaign.

Jordan had vowed an "earth-shattering" response after ISIS captured one of its pilots and released gruesome video of him apparently being burned alive.

"On the first day of the campaign to avenge our airman Maaz al-Kassasbeh, 19 targets were destroyed, including training camps and equipment," Jobour told reporters.

Strikes since Thursday had destroyed dozens of targets.

US Secretary of State John Kerry said the air campaign, launched in Iraq in August and expanded to Syria the following month, was helping ground forces win back territory and depriving the jihadists of key funds.

There have been 2 000 air strikes on ISIS so far, Kerry told a security conference in Munich.

These had helped ground forces retake some 700km² of territory from the jihadists, or "one-fifth of the area they had in their control", he said.

Kerry did not specify whether the recaptured territory was in Iraq or Syria.

Coalition strikes


But he added the coalition had "deprived the militants of the use of 200 oil and gas facilities... disrupted their command structure... squeezed its finance and dispersed its personnel".

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said on Monday foreign troops would not be allowed on the ground in Syria to battle ISIS, also telling journalists Amman had not responded to a Damascus request to coordinate efforts against the jihadists.

Britain-based monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Sunday Kurdish forces had retaken more than a third of the villages around Kobane, a strategic town on the Syrian-Turkish border.

The Kurds recaptured Kobane on 26 January after four months of fierce fighting backed by Syrian rebels and coalition air strikes.

Coalition warplanes launched three air strikes against ISIS in Syria in the 24 hours to 06:00 GMT on Monday, the Pentagon said, and another six in Iraq.

The Observatory also reported at least 15 people killed and dozens wounded on Monday in Syrian regime air strikes on the rebel-held Douma area east of Damascus.

As Jordan stepped up its air war, ISIS claimed on Friday that American aid worker hostage Kayla Jean Mueller, 26, had been buried alive under rubble by a coalition strike on its self-proclaimed capital of Raqa in Syria.

Mueller's parents said they were hopeful she was still alive, while US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson said Washington was seeking clarification on her fate.

Read more on:    isis  |  iraq  |  iraq bombings

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.