Iraq sentences 24 to death

2015-07-08 16:24
Isis massacre. (AP)

Isis massacre. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Baghdad - An Iraqi court sentenced 24 people to death on Wednesday over the killings of hundreds of mainly Shi'ite soldiers captured by Islamic State militants (ISIS) during their offensive through northern Iraq last year.

As many as 1 700 soldiers were killed after they fled Camp Speicher, a former US military base just north of Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit, and were rounded up by the Sunni Islamist fighters.

Video footage of the soldiers being gunned down in their hundreds, posted online by jihadists, came to symbolise Islamic State brutality and could mark the deadliest single act of violence during a decade of intermittent sectarian war in Iraq.

Dispensing swift justice, the court issued the death sentences within hours of the start of the trial on Wednesday, based on what a spokesperson described as strong evidence and confessions from the convicted men.

"Today the Iraqi central criminal court issued a death sentence against 24 people convicted of the Speicher massacre," said Abdul-Sattar al-Birqdar, spokesperson for Iraq's Supreme Judicial Council.

He said all those tried and sentenced on Wednesday were Iraqi nationals. Another 604 suspects wanted in connection with the killings remained at large, he added.

Tariq Harib, a leading Iraqi criminal lawyer who attended the session, said the sentences would be sent automatically to a higher court within a month for approval.

Iraqi soldiers and Shi'ite militia fighters recaptured Tikrit from Islamic State militants three months ago, allowing the start of exhumations at 12 suspected mass graves thought to contain the bodies of the slain soldiers.

Video footage released a year ago showed bodies being dumped in the nearby Tigris river, suggesting that a definite death toll from the Speicher killings may never emerge.

Many families of victims accused military leaders and local Sunni tribespeople of not doing more to prevent the killings, saying senior officers told the men they could safely abandon Camp Speicher and head for their homes in Iraq's Shi'ite south.

Instead they were rounded up and led to their deaths.

Government officials disputed those accounts, saying there was no promise of safety, and that the soldiers had left the base unarmed despite being ordered to stay.

Read more on:    isis  |  iraq

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.