Italy sounds alarm as 4 000 immigrants land

2014-04-09 21:41
Migrants off the coast of Lampedusa. (AFP)

Migrants off the coast of Lampedusa. (AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome - Italy said on Wednesday that 4 000 immigrants have reached its shores by boat in the past two days - the highest number since it launched a naval operation to rescue them at sea in the wake of two shipwrecks last year.

"The landings are non-stop and the emergency is increasingly glaring," Interior Minister Angelino Alfano told Rai Uno public radio, adding that a corpse had been found on one of the migrant boats rescued.

Alfano estimated that 15 000 migrants crossing the Mediterranean had been rescued so far this year and said up to 600 000 migrants from Africa and the Middle East were ready to set off from Libyan shores.

He called on the international community to set up "refugee camps" in Libya and said the next six months would be "extremely difficult" because favourable weather conditions meant more would make the crossing.

Italy reported a 60% increase in asylum claims last year - mainly people fleeing the war in Syria - although the number of arrivals is still lower than in the wake of the Arab Spring revolts in 2011.

"Europe must take the situation in hand. It cannot say that, having given €80m to Frontex, the problem has been resolved," Alfano said, referring to the European Union's border control agency.

Alfano, who is also head of the New Centre-Right party, also said that "the procedure for expelling those who do not have a right to stay in Italy should be sped up, but we should welcome those who have a right to asylum".

The latest increase comes just ahead of European Parliament elections next month and lawmakers from the anti-immigration Northern League - a small opposition party - have been quick to weigh in on the issue.

MPs Davide Caparini and Nicola Molteni released a statement urging Alfano to stop the arrivals "by turning them back" and complained that asylum-seekers were getting better treatment "than any Italian citizen".

'No more space'

But Silvia Canciani, a spokesperson for the Association for Legal Studies on Immigration (ASGI), which carries out research and provides legal aid for asylum-seekers, played down the scale of the new influx.

"The number of people arriving is increasing but it is only becoming an emergency because of the bad management of Italy's asylum system," she said.

She warned there was "no more space" in asylum and immigration centres, stressing that vulnerable migrants such as minors risked not receiving the care they needed if they were put up only in temporary structures.

Senator Luigi Manconi from the centre-left Democratic Party, head of the human rights committee in parliament, also agreed the problem was Italy's own.

"We are not facing an invasion, absolutely not. We have to criticise ourselves for not putting in the necessary measures in time," he said.

The navy said it had rescued around 2 500 migrants of the 4 000 arrivals and that others were being intercepted by merchant ships and coast guard vessels.

"This is the highest number we have had over a 48-hour period since Mare Nostrum began," a navy spokesperson told AFP.

The navy also said it had begun identity checks on the migrants with police officers on board.

"Some have documents, others do not. We are still trying to ascertain the countries of origin," the spokesperson said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    italy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Lood leads heavy Bok assault
Hosts England crash out of RWC
Cotter takes loss on the chin
'Basic' Bok plan worked well
Traffic Alerts

Spontaneity is the order of the day. Let go and have some fun. Try not to set too many set plans and expectations and enjoy more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.