Jail time for those who break new S Korea MERS law

2015-06-26 11:52
Visitors wearing masks as a precaution against MERS. (Lee Jin-man. AP)

Visitors wearing masks as a precaution against MERS. (Lee Jin-man. AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - South Korea has introduced a new law designed to curb a MERS outbreak, tightening quarantine restrictions and imposing jail sentences on those who defy anti-infection measures in a crisis that has now left 31 dead.

Under the new law, passed in parliament late on Thursday, people infected with the virus who lie to state investigators about how they came into contact with the disease will face a fine or a prison sentence.

"False testimony would entail up two years in prison or $18 000 in fines," said the new law, which replaces the fine that could be meted out to anyone who did not tell the truth under previous legislation.

"Interviewees will [now] feel compelled to provide honest answers."

The new law also strengthens officials' power to restrict the movement of infected people and close contaminated facilities, with offenders who refuse to follow their orders also facing two years in prison or a $18 000 fine.

The number of state health workers in charge of preventing outbreaks and tracing them will also be doubled to more than 60.

Government ‘failure’

The legislation comes as South Korea's government is facing criticism for failing to stop the MERS outbreak, which has now become the largest ever outside Saudi Arabia.

Two new fatalities were reported on Friday, the health ministry said - both women, aged 79 and 80, who had existing health conditions.

A doctor at Seoul's Samsung Medical Centre, the hospital to which nearly half of all infections have been traced, was also confirmed to have contracted the disease.

The hospital earlier this week decided to extend indefinitely a 12-day suspension of normal services as patients, doctors and visitors continued to be diagnosed with the disease.

The latest fatalities brought the total death toll to 31, the health ministry said, with 181 people diagnosed with the deadly virus since the first case emerged on May 20.

Of those diagnosed, aside from the number of dead, 81 have recovered and 69 are still being treated, including 13 listed in critical condition.

Read more on:    mers  |  south korea  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.