News24

KFC ordered to pay $8.3m to girl

2012-04-27 14:10

Sydney - Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken was on Friday ordered to pay $8.3m to an Australian girl who suffered severe brain damage and was paralysed after eating a chicken wrap.

Monika Samaan was seven when she suffered salmonella encephalopathy - a brain injury linked to food poisoning that also left her with a blood infection and septic shock - in October 2005.

Other family members also fell ill and they claimed Samaan's injuries, which include severe cognitive, motor and speech impairment and spastic quadriplegia, were caused by a "Twister" wrap containing chicken and salad from a Sydney KFC outlet.

The New South Wales Supreme Court ruled in the family's favour a week ago and on Friday ordered KFC to pay the girl $8.3m in damages plus legal costs.

In a statement, the family's lawyer George Vlahakis said they were relieved the battle was over.

"Monika's severe brain damage and severe disability has already exhausted the very limited resources of the family," he said.

Compensation was needed

"Monika is now a big girl and they are finding it increasingly difficult to lift her and to look after her basic needs as well as look after Monika's younger siblings.

"The compensation ordered is very much needed. KFC have to date been determined that Monika does not receive a cent."

Last week KFC said it believed the evidence showed KFC did not cause the tragedy and indicated it will appeal the decision but is yet to do so.

"We feel deeply for Monika and the Samaan family however we also have a responsibility to defend KFC's reputation as a provider of safe, high quality food," KFC Australia's chief corporate affairs officer Sally Glover said.

During the trial, Justice Stephen Rothman said the chicken became contaminated "because of the failure of one or more employees of KFC" to follow proper preparation rules, which he described as "negligent".

Comments
  • Shirley - 2012-04-27 14:39

    Good news! Lets hope other tardy outlets catch a wake up! Expect a kfc price increase soon!

      sean.looney - 2012-04-27 20:17

      kfc australia has nothing to do with kfc south africa or kfc uk.

      goyougoodthing - 2012-04-28 11:03

      Eating KFC or any other fast food is a death sentence, they should fine the girl and her family for stupidity. Fast food is the curse of the working class.

      Franklyn - 2012-04-28 20:26

      hey eat your deep fried goodies at your peril.....those chickens died a crap death,dont follow the example.

      Johan - 2012-04-29 10:29

      Safe high quality food se voet. Just thinking of that fatty oily chicken makes me feel sick.

  • davidpsom - 2012-04-27 14:41

    This story is 5 days old but you open with the line 'ordered on Friday'? Now how do we trust anything you publish?

      Gestoffle - 2012-04-27 18:03

      @david - What are you going on about? KFC were found guilty a few days ago, but today (FRIDAY) they awarded damages. Quite normal if you ask me. SYDNEY had had a full day by the time this article hit news24!

  • SaffaSeun - 2012-04-27 14:42

    Just curious, where did this take place? In Oz? Then it would be AU$ . Please News24 its basic information you cannot get right. Anyway, well done for Justice to prevail.

      Chumscrubber1 - 2012-04-28 07:28

      Isn't KFC HQ US based? Better make sure before assuming Saffa...

      SaffaSeun - 2012-04-28 09:16

      Mr Chum brilliant one, make sure about your assumptions, this whole article is Oz based and KFC has headquarters there as well. Just as it has in SA. Why pose your comment as a question if you are sure about your facts...

      Adrian - 2012-04-28 12:47

      SaffaSeun got brain poisoning from eating a vrot boerewors roll.

  • neilza - 2012-04-27 15:17

    Just curious. Did anyone else other than this family have issues with kfc on that day or week. Surely others would have been effected

  • karen.zyl - 2012-04-27 15:33

    I refuse to eat take-always, this is not only one incident or the last.

      Dix - 2012-04-28 10:25

      Inciedant happens,,and there is nothing that will keep me away frm KFC...

      randomhero6661 - 2012-04-29 10:33

      try watching food inc.

  • ndyeboreginaldmazawule - 2012-04-27 15:46

    Now ths should be an alarm of caution to anyone working with foodstuff, that basic food procedures need to be followed at all cost. We must nt hear of such cases, ths is th food we love nd eat maan.

  • William - 2012-04-27 16:24

    Pay up, K.F.C with a smile..!!!

  • Muhammad - 2012-04-27 17:23

    Kfc, that's not street wise

      Adrian - 2012-04-28 12:51

      You rock!

  • nhlenganem - 2012-04-27 17:50

    THAT IS WHY I DON'T EAT KFC AT ALL

      khanyib1 - 2012-04-29 13:21

      That's lie.

  • Ricky Naidoo - 2012-04-27 19:10

    I rarely eat out at fastfood outlets. As for the staff that work at some of these outlets are filthy to the core. Many times I've witnessed staff members of food outlets just walking out of the loo without washing their hands.

  • CoronaSherona - 2012-04-28 04:45

    All the money in the world cannot give your child a normal life back. Yes your own might be more comfortable but any NORMAL parent would want the child's life to be restored ... millions shmillions .. whatever.

  • Zolisa - 2012-04-28 07:30

    KFC ? I cant believe this.Two yrs ago it was reported (SABC radio news) that KFC might cause cancer

      nomkhosi.mtshali - 2012-04-29 01:53

      That might in there means sumthng ts jst speculations without proof

  • Ted - 2012-04-28 09:38

    I think the F in KFC means something you can express with your middle finger?

  • CoenraadvanderZanden - 2012-04-28 09:44

    Perhaps KFC on Louis Botha Avenue, JHB, South Africa could explain the piece of glass I found in my mash and gravy!?? Did I report it - no, given KFC's general attitude, I would probably have been accused of putting it there myself!

  • comurray - 2012-04-28 10:29

    Surely others would also have been affected, not only this family. I smell a rat somewhere in this claim for damages. Their lawer is probably going to take the bulk of this payment and laugh all the way to the Swiss bank.

  • Vickers - 2012-04-28 12:27

    After the Santam ad thing I would rather have Nandos thanks.

      Vienna - 2012-04-29 09:05

      I agree, but Nandos Australia or any where outside SouthA is not as tasty as Nandos SouthA

  • Adam - 2012-04-28 16:43

    Julius should sue them for making him so fat.

      Jack - 2012-04-29 08:55

      I dnt think he's fat bcos ofkfc he's eatin too much fat koeks

  • Hennie - 2012-04-29 08:57

    Y eh , fast foods are most peoples death sentence as this is not at all healthy.Just pure laziness.!!!

  • Stephen - 2012-04-29 11:10

    8.3m AU$ is roughly 10m us$,us$ more internationaly accepted(for know)

  • Ruan - 2012-04-29 12:42

    ...a much better alternative is "HILLBILLY'S CHICKEN".....an Irish-based franchise.....beat Kfc hands' down !!

  • Xavier7034 - 2012-04-29 12:46

    This is not the only possible source of Salmonella! It can also be found in some Spanspek and Eggs - I have written an article about this, for those who want more information about what is potentially dangerous to humans: http://tinyurl.com/bskn8ln

  • Eban - 2012-04-29 13:20

    my daughter and her husband bought KFC from Grayston a few years ago, they were hospitalised for 3 days, KFC Collected the left overs for testing, admitted the food was toxic selmonella, and did not offer any form of compensation, sent 5 vouchers for more KFC.....!!! Never ever ever ever will anyone in our family ever go into a KFC let alone trade a free coupon or purchase KFC even if we were starving!!!! Go to hell KFC!!

      Arvin - 2012-04-29 14:38

      Now thats not good! KFC should compensate better than that. I suspect fowl play.

  • pages:
  • 1