Koreas to continue high-level talks to ease tensions

2015-08-23 09:25

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - High-level talks between North and South Korea will resume at the truce village of Panmunjom on Sunday in an effort to defuse tensions following an exchange of gunfire this week that prompted the North to threaten "all-out war".

South Korean national security adviser Kim Kwan Jin and representatives of the Defence Ministry met with Kim Yang Gon, an official with the Workers' Party of Korea who specialises in South Korea issues, as well as the chief of the Korean People's Army, Vice Marshal Hwang Pyong So.

Hwang is considered a close confidante of the country's leader, Kim Jong Un.

The meeting, which began on Saturday, was halted in the early morning hours of Sunday and will reconvene later in the day, a representative of the South Korean president told reporters.

South Korea resumed the operation of loudspeakers broadcasting propaganda across the border in retaliation for a land mine laid by North Korean forces that blew the legs off two South Korean troops.

North Korea intensified its threats of war on Saturday, calling the situation "hardly controllable". It also gave an ultimatum to Seoul to halt all provocations of sending propaganda across the border.

"Our military and people are prepared to risk their lives in an all-out war, to defend the system our people choose," the Foreign Ministry said on the official Korean Central News Agency, in comments before the announcement of the Panmunjom talks.

Earlier on Saturday, the South Korean Yonhap news agency said Pyongyang was making preparations for possible military strikes. Military sources said Northern forces were erecting additional artillery batteries north of the demilitarised zone.

Kim Jong Un declared a "quasi-war status" and ordered frontline army units to be fully battle ready.

An Myong Hun, North Korea's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, said in New York Friday that South Korea must stop the propaganda broadcasts within 48 hours or face military retaliation.

Read more on:    south korea  |  north korea

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.