Latest US media intel scoop suggests new leaker

2014-08-06 05:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - The latest media scoop about the internal workings of the US intelligence community has convinced officials they have a new leaker feeding information to journalists, reports said on Tuesday.

The concerns came after The Intercept, a news site that has access to documents from known leaker Edward Snowden, published new revelations about the scope of the US terrorism watchlist.

The Intercept report was "obtained from a source in the intelligence community". Previously, it has not hidden when Snowden was its source, suggesting the latest scoop came from someone else.

News network CNN, citing only "US officials", reported that national security officers fear that they are now faced with a second source leaking classified intelligence from within their own ranks.

The Intercept, which is edited by US journalist Glenn Greenwald, who first revealed some of Snowden's secret documents, published a 12-page text marked "secret/noforn", meaning it is not to be shared with allied governments and entitled: "Directorate of Terrorist Identities Strategic Accomplishments 2013."

The document is dated August 2013, which is after Snowden left Hawaii - where he was working as a contractor for the National Security Agency - and fled first to Hong Kong and then to Russia.

Produced by the National Counterterrorism Centre, the document reveals that there are at least 680 000 names of individuals around the world that US officials suspect of involvement in terrorism.

Of these, 280 000 people have "no recognised terrorist group affiliation". Others are alleged members or supporters of groups regarded as terrorist by Washington such as al-Qaeda or Hamas.

A larger database, the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment or TIDE, has a million names, officials told CNN

The Intercept report also revealed that since President Barack Obama took office he has boosted the number of suspects on the "no-fly list" banning them from aviation ten fold to 470 000.

Read more on:    nsa  |  us  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
4 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.