Libya is paying Qaeda suspect's legal costs

2014-07-29 07:10

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The Libyan government is paying to defend alleged senior al-Qaeda figure Anas al-Liby against US terrorism charges, according to court filings unsealed on Monday.

Al-Liby, whose real name is Nazih al-Ragye, was seized by US forces in October in Libya and brought to the United States to face criminal charges in connection with the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

Libyan officials denounced the military operation as an unauthorised mission within its borders.

No one could be immediately reached for comment on Monday at the Libyan embassy in Washington.

During a court hearing last week, Al-Liby's lawyer, Bernard Kleinman, told US District Judge Lewis Kaplan that a foreign government was paying his fees but declined to identify the country. Kaplan has expressed concern that the arrangement could create a conflict of interest for Kleinman.

The name of the government was initially kept under seal at Kleinman's request, but Kaplan released the information on Monday after The New York Times requested that it be made public. In his order, Kaplan noted that Kleinman no longer opposed revealing the government involved.

Kaplan also released a note from Kleinman listing the individuals associated with the Libya government with whom he has been in contact about payment.

The list included Adel el Babaa, Dhafra Fawazzi, Erin Petrey and a man named Faisal whose last name Kleinman did not recall.

Petrey is the former special assistant to the Libyan ambassador to the United States and she left that post in June, according to her online LinkedIn profile. Reuters could not immediately determine the positions of the other people on the list.

The individuals would prefer to remain anonymous, according to Kleinman, but Kaplan said the public interest in the case outweighed their desire.

Kleinman was not immediately available for comment on Monday.

The judge has scheduled a hearing next month to consider whether the payment arrangement poses a potential conflict for Kleinman, who Kaplan said might divide his loyalties between his client and his employer. At last week's hearing, Kleinman said he did not consult with the Libyan government regarding his defensive strategy.

Al-Liby has pleaded not guilty to involvement in the bombings, which killed 224 people. He is scheduled to go on trial in November alongside two co-defendants, Egyptian Adel Bary and Saudi Khalid al-Fawwaz.

Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  libya  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

The most important thing today is to do the necessary ground work as tedious and monotonous as it may seem to help you build a...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.