Lock Breivik away forever: Families

2012-08-21 12:02


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Oslo - Families of Anders Behring Breivik's victims in last year's Norway attacks disagree on whether he is sane, but ahead of Friday's verdict they see eye-to-eye on one thing: That he should be locked up for life.

"If this person is not legally responsible for his actions, were the Nazis?" asked Claude Perreau, who was devastated after his son Rolf Christopher, aged 25, was gunned down by the 33-year-old right-wing extremist.

Perreau believes Breivik is sane enough to go to prison.

"He may be someone who is a misfit in society but he's not crazy, given how he calculated and how he spent two years preparing his crime," he said.

On 22 July 2011, Breivik set off a car bomb outside the government offices in Oslo, killing eight people, before going to the island of Utoya, northwest of the capital, where he spent more than an hour slaughtering another 69 people, mostly teenagers, attending a Labour Party youth camp.

The spectacular attacks shocked the normally-tranquil nation, highlighted the authorities' lack of preparedness, and sparked a debate about the killer's mental health.

Diverging views

In its verdict due on Friday, the Oslo district court is to decide whether Breivik is criminally responsible and whether he should be sentenced to prison, as requested by the defence, or to a closed psychiatric ward, as sought by the prosecution.

"For me, the important thing was always that he be found responsible because that's what seemed most fair. Everything he did seemed so carefully and evilly planned," Unni Espeland Marcussen, who lost her 16-year-old daughter Andrine on Utoya, told daily Aftenposten.

"But it's not as important now. I think that the prosecution presented their closing arguments pedagogically and I understand better the reasons why the accused must enjoy the benefit of the doubt," she said.

During the 10-week trial which concluded on 22 June, a slew of psychiatric experts took turns on the witness stand and most of them had diverging views.

A first court-ordered psychiatric evaluation concluded that Breivik was suffering from a psychosis but a second opinion found that he was sane enough to be sent to prison.

The prosecution argued therefore that there was sufficient doubt about his mental health for him to be ordered to undergo psychiatric care, contrary to Breivik's own expressed wish to be sent to prison.

'Society has nothing to gain'

He wants to be found sane so that his Islamophobic and anti-multicultural ideologies are not seen as the ravings of a lunatic.

"The verdict doesn't matter much, what's important to us is that he be excluded from society forever," insisted Perreau.

Among the family members, no one wants to see Breivik a free man one day.

"It's also for his own sake: There are so many people who lost loved ones, parents, children, or brothers and sisters, that he wouldn't be safe if he were released," stressed Christin Bjelland, the vice president of a support group for families of the victims.

Breivik's lawyer Geir Lippestad has noted that 'life in prison' does not exist in Norway - though inmates considered a threat to the public can be held indefinitely - and said society must one day be prepared to welcome Breivik back.

"When you have a cancerous cell, you try to remove it. You don't try to cure it and put it back in your body," retorted Perreau.

"There's no reason to reintegrate him. Society has nothing to gain from that."

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    anders behring breivik  |  norway  |  norway attacks

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Springboks' bus driver inspires team in UK
Mallett says 'no thanks' after England call
Tuilagi to appeal 5-week ban
Win over Boks was 'massive' for Japanese rugby
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal scenario...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.