MH370 families want more evidence on plane debris

2015-08-12 07:16
Police officers looking at a piece of debris from a plane in Saint-Andre, Reunion. (Reunion 1ere, AP)

Police officers looking at a piece of debris from a plane in Saint-Andre, Reunion. (Reunion 1ere, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kuala Lumpur - An MH370 families organisation said on Wednesday it would not accept the Malaysian government's declaration that the wreckage found on an island in the Indian Ocean came from the ill-fated flight until more "conclusive" analysis is completed.

Voice 370, an international next-of-kin support group, also reiterated its suspicion over the Malaysian government's handling of the jet's disappearance last year, and called for any potential MH370 debris to be analysed by impartial authorities.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said last Thursday that a wing part which washed up on the French island of Reunion had been confirmed by experts in France to be the first physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet had met a disastrous end in the Indian Ocean.

"However, after one week, other experts have not concurred with the Malaysia declaration," Voice 370 said in a statement.

"Needless to say, most families have refused to accept the Malaysian verdict, and are awaiting a more definite and conclusive analysis," it added.


The Boeing 777 vanished on March 8 last year with 239 passengers and crew, triggering one of aviation's greatest mysteries and history's biggest search operation, now focused on the southern Indian Ocean.

After the jet's disappearance, Malaysia's government and the state flag carrier came under intense fire from next-of-kin who accused both of fumbling their response to the disaster, being slow to release information, and a series of confusing or contradictory statements.

The Voice 370 statement said families "are apprehensive about the handling of the whole incident from day one by the Malaysian authorities.

"This led to families having doubts about their expertise, capabilities and intentions."

French authorities have not gone as far as Najib in confirming that the wing piece came from the plane, saying only that there was a "very highly probability".

"We the families of those on board MH370 would like to appeal that all debris be analysed at a reputable place with the appropriate expertise and equipment" including possibly the French government or authorities from other "advanced nations", Voice 370 said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.