Malaysia Airlines sued by 2 boys over MH370

2014-10-31 08:18
Malaysian lawyer Malaysian lawyer Arunan Selvaraj speaks to journalists outside a courthouse in Kuala Lumpur. (File, AP)

Malaysian lawyer Malaysian lawyer Arunan Selvaraj speaks to journalists outside a courthouse in Kuala Lumpur. (File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kuala Lumpur - Two Malaysian teenage boys on Friday sued Malaysia Airlines and the government over the loss of their father on Flight 370, the first lawsuit filed by the family of a passenger of the jetliner that mysteriously disappeared eight months ago.

Jee Kinson, aged 13, and Jee Kinland, aged 11, said in the suit that when the plane dropped from the radar while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on 8 March with 239 people on board, the civil aviation department did not try to establish contact within reasonable time. The immigration department also allowed passengers with fake identities to board the plane, they said.

"We have waited for eight months. After speaking to various experts, we believe we have sufficient evidence for a strong case. A big plane missing in this age of technology is really unacceptable", their lawyer Arunan Selvaraj said.

The suit said the flag carrier was negligent and failed to take all due measures to ensure a safe flight.

It also named the director-generals of civil aviation and immigration, the country's navy chief and the government as respondents and alleged they committed gross neglect and breach of duty.

The boys are seeking damages for mental distress, emotional pain and the loss of support following the disappearance of their father, Jee Jing Hang.

They said their father operated an Internet business earning monthly income of nearly $5 178.

"The question is, could we have salvaged the situation if action was taken earlier?" Arunan said. "We want accountability."

The plane is believed to have gone down in a remote patch of the Indian Ocean, where a search is ongoing. Not a single piece of debris from the plane has been found so far. Australian officials, who are co-ordinating the search, have said the hunt for the plane could take another year.

Malaysian police determined that two men travelling with stolen passports on Flight 370 were Iranians seeking to migrate illegally to Europe and were not terrorists.

Read more on:    malaysia airlines  |  malaysia  |  mh370

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.