Malaysia hunts missing Filipino invaders

2013-03-06 07:55
An army helicopter flies in Cenderawasih near the area where the stand-off with Filipino Sulu gunmen and Malaysian security forces was taking place in Tanduo village. (Mohd Rasfan, AFP)

An army helicopter flies in Cenderawasih near the area where the stand-off with Filipino Sulu gunmen and Malaysian security forces was taking place in Tanduo village. (Mohd Rasfan, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Felda Sahabat - Malaysian forces searched house-to-house on Wednesday after armed Filipino invaders apparently escaped a military assault, as a Philippine guerrilla warned more fighters had arrived.

Malaysia on Tuesday launched an attack with jet fighters and soldiers on up to 300 Filipino invaders in a bid to end a bloody three-week standoff in which 27 people had already been reported killed, including eight policemen.

Prime Minister Najib Razak had declared the operation was "weeding out" the holed-up followers of a self-styled Muslim sultan from the Philippines, who had come to assert a long-dormant claim to the Malaysian state of Sabah.

But authorities later indicated the militants had escaped into surrounding farmland in the remote region of Borneo Island, where residents were already on edge over reports of roaming gunmen and two bloody shootouts.

"Follow-up action and house-to-house searches are being carried out carefully to ensure the safety of the policemen and soldiers," state news agency Bernama quoted police as saying.

No militants captured

A leader of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), which waged an insurgency against the Philippine government until 1996, said hardened fighters from his Muslim group had arrived to support the militants.

"Many have slipped through the security forces," Muhajab Hashim told AFP in Manila.
"They know the area like the back of their hands because they trained there in the past," he said, referring to long-standing allegations that Malaysia helped trained MNLF leaders in their insurgency against the Philippines.

"We are expecting more of them to join (the battle) even if our official instruction is for them to refrain from going."

Malaysian federal police chief Ismail Omar said late on Tuesday after the assault that no militants had yet been found dead or captured. He did not explain how they could have escaped a cordon in place for the past three weeks.

"I have instructed my commanders to be on alert because we believe the enemies are still out there," Ismail told reporters.

"We of course hope that they have not escaped."

27 dead

Malaysians, accustomed to watching neighbours Thailand and the Philippines grapple with Muslim insurgents, have been shocked by the drama, and authorities have been criticised for the ease with which the invaders slipped in to Sabah.

The crisis comes as Malaysia's 56-year-old ruling coalition is bracing for what is expected to be the country's closest-ever election against a formidable opposition, which has slammed the handling of the incursion.

The episode began 12 February, when Malaysia's government said an estimated 100-300 armed Filipinos had landed in Sabah and were surrounded in the sleepy farming village of Tanduo.

After an initial standoff, violence erupted there on Friday with a deadly shootout, followed by a second gunfight a day later in another town hours away. Authorities have said 27 have died in the shootouts and related violence.

The intruders are followers of Jamalul Kiram III, aged 74, the Manila-based self-proclaimed heir of the former sultanate of Sulu, which once controlled part of the southern Philippines and claimed sovereignty over Sabah.

The Sulu sultanate's power faded a century ago but its heirs continue to insist on ownership of resource-rich Sabah, and still receive nominal Malaysian payments under a lease deal originally struck by Western colonial powers.

Read more on:    najib razak  |  malaysia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.