Man faces charges after attempting to join al-Qaeda

2013-11-12 11:01
(File, AFP)

(File, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Raleigh - A Pakistani native living in the US is facing federal charges that he sought to join an al-Qaeda-linked militant group fighting the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Basit Javed Sheikh, aged 29, of Cary, is charged in a federal criminal indictment with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organisation. He was arrested on 2 November before boarding the first of a series of flights that would take him to Lebanon.

Sheikh told an FBI informant he was going to join the group called the Nusrah Front in Syria, an FBI agent said in a sworn affidavit obtained by The Associated Press.

Sheikh was assigned two federal public defenders to represent him during a court hearing last week. The defence attorneys could not be reached on Monday because their office was closed for the Veterans Day holiday. Messages to phone numbers listed for Sheikh were not returned on Monday.

FBI informant

For five months this year, Sheikh, also known as Abdul Basit, posted messages and videos on Facebook expressing support for jihadi militants fighting Assad's forces in the bloody, 3-year-old Syrian civil war that has killed more than 100 000 people, said the affidavit signed by FBI Special Agent Jason Maslow.

In August, Sheikh began an online relationship with an FBI informant who used a Facebook page promoting Islamic extremism, the affidavit said.

Sheikh told the informant in early September that he'd bought a one-way ticket to travel to Turkey in hopes of making contact with people who would get him to Syria. Sheikh said he backed out because "he could not muster the strength to leave his parents," the affidavit said. Sheikh said he had travelled to Turkey last year hoping to join the fight in Syria, but became dispirited by his experience with people who claimed to be part of the US-backed Free Syrian Army.

Four years ago, eight Raleigh-area Muslims were arrested on charges they were behind a home-grown terror plot to attack the US Marine Corps base at Quantico, Virginia, and perceived overseas enemies of Islam. Seven either pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges or were convicted at trial. The last, Jude Kenan Mohammad, was among four Americans confirmed as being killed by drones in either Pakistan or Yemen since 2009, the Obama administration said in May.

Read more on:    fbi  |  al-qaeda  |  facebook  |  bashar assad  |  us  |  syria  |  syria conflict

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.