Mecca tragedy: Parts of the Grand Mosque remain sealed off

2015-09-13 08:23
Saudi emergency teams stand next to a construction crane after it crashed into the Grand Mosque of Saudi Arabia's holy Muslim city of Mecca. (AP)

Saudi emergency teams stand next to a construction crane after it crashed into the Grand Mosque of Saudi Arabia's holy Muslim city of Mecca. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Mecca - Saudi Arabia's King Salman has pledged to find out what caused a crane collapse that killed 107 people at Mecca's Grand Mosque in the run-up to the annual Hajj pilgrimage.

The Hajj, a pillar of the Muslim religion which last year drew about two million faithful, will take place despite Friday's tragedy, Saudi authorities said on Saturday as crowds returned to pray a day after the incident.

Parts of the Grand Mosque remained sealed off around the wreckage of the crane, which also injured around 200 people when it crashed into a courtyard.

But there was little mourning among pilgrims, who snapped pictures of the collapsed metal and continued with their prayers and rituals.

Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims had already arrived in Mecca when the massive red and white crane toppled over during a Friday thunderstorm.

"We will investigate all the reasons and afterwards declare the results to the citizens," Salman said after visiting the site, one of Islam's holiest.

Salman's assurances

Salman, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, said: "My visit today is to check what had happened and know how we can rehabilitate the site again. We will open investigation into the causes of the accident and then announce the results to the public."

Afterwards, Salman paid a visit to Al-Noor Specialist Hospital in Mecca where he was reassured of the health of the injured from several nationalities, including Iranian, Turkish, Afghan, Egyptian and Pakistani.

He also ordered to provide all health care services to them.

Indonesians and Indians were among those killed when the crane collapsed, while the injured included Malaysians, Egyptians, Iranians, Turks, Afghans and Pakistanis.

Salman expressed his condolences to the families of the dead, and then visited a local hospital "to check on the health of the injured", the official Saudi Press Agency said.

A Saudi official said the Hajj, expected to start on September 21, would go ahead despite the tragedy.

"It definitely will not affect the Hajj this season, and the affected part will probably be fixed in a few days," said the official, who declined to be named.

The pilgrimage is a must for all able-bodied Muslims who can afford it.

Safety directives

An investigative committee has "immediately and urgently" begun searching for the cause of the collapse, SPA reported.

The contractor, engaged in a major expansion of the mosque, has been directed to ensure the safety of all other cranes at the site, it said.

The cranes soar skywards over the expansion taking place beneath the Mecca Royal Clock Tower, the world's third tallest building.

For years, work has been under way on a 4.3-million sq ft enlargement of the Grand Mosque to allow it to accommodate up to 2.2 million people at once.

Irfan al-Alawi, co-founder of the Mecca-based Islamic Heritage Research Foundation, suggested that the authorities had been negligent by having a series of cranes overlooking the mosque.

"They do not care about the heritage, and they do not care about health and safety," he told AFP.

Alawi is an outspoken critic of redevelopment at the Muslim holy sites, which he says is wiping away tangible links to the Prophet Muhammad.

But an engineer for the Saudi Binladin Group, the developer, told AFP the crane had been installed in "an extremely professional way" and that there had been no technical problem.

"It was an act of God", he said.

Bloodied bodies

Condolences came in from around the world, including from Arab leaders, as well as from Britain, Canada, India and Nigeria.

Pictures of the incident on Twitter showed bloodied bodies strewn across the courtyard, where part of the crane had landed atop an ornate, arched and colonnaded section of the complex.

It was not the first tragedy to strike Mecca pilgrims, although the Hajj has been practically incident-free in recent years.

In 2006, several hundred people died in a stampede during the Stoning of the Devil ritual in nearby Mina, following a similar incident two years earlier.

Sheikh Ahmed al-Ghamdi, former head of Mecca's religious police, told AFP the accident was a "test" from God.

"We need to accept what happened," he said, at the same time calling for a thorough investigation.

Read more on:    saudi arabia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.