News24

Mexico mine blast - 14 bodies recovered

2011-05-08 19:43

San Juan de Sabinas - Rescue crews have recovered all bodies from a coal mine in northern Mexico hit by a gas explosion earlier this week, putting the total death toll at 14.

Mexican Labour Secretary Javier Lozano says the rescue phase has ended and the government will start a rigorous investigation into mine safety in Mexico.

The last body was found early on Sunday and was that of a 38-year-old miner.

The blast on Tuesday was so powerful it also seriously injured a teenager who was working outside the mine.

Mexican officials said it was caused by a gas build up. The national mine workers' union said the mine's work force was not unionised and criticised the unsafe conditions in which Mexico's mines are allowed to operate.