Mladic denies being behind massacre

2011-05-29 18:20

kalahari.com

Belgrade - Ratko Mladic claims he did not order the massacre of 8 000 men and boys in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica when it fell during the 1992-1995 war, his son said on Sunday.

Darko Mladic said his father denies being the instigator of the massacre - the worst atrocity in Europe since the end of World War II.

"Whatever was done in Srebrenica, he has nothing to do with it," Darko Mladic said.

"His orders were to evacuate the wounded, the women and the children and then the fighters. Whatever was done behind his back, he has nothing to do with that."

Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive, the 69-year old former general is being held in a Serbian jail after his arrest last week after 16 years on the run.

The Hague: Compelling evidence

He is charged with genocide and other war crimes by the tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, which reviewed what it called compelling evidence that he personally orchestrated the massacre and other atrocities.

It was not clear when the former commander of Serb forces in Bosnia made the claims. His family and lawyers have been fighting extradition, arguing that the general is too ill to face charges.

The family plans to demand on Monday that a Serbian court order an independent medical check-up to dispute a conclusion by court-appointed doctors that Mladic is fit to stand trial.

"His basic human rights are being violated," Darko Mladic said.

Prosecutors have dismissed the family's moves as a delaying tactic.

Serbian authorities have stepped up security throughout the country ahead of an ultranationalist rally planned in central Belgrade on Sunday evening.

Similar rallies in the past have resulted in clashes between the police and right-wing extremists.

Family: Mladic not lucid

Defence requests appear likely to delay Mladic's extradition until at least Tuesday. His lawyer, Milos Saljic, said he would send an extradition appeal by mail - instead of submitting it personally - in order to gain more time.

Mladic has suffered at least two, and possibly three strokes, the latest in 2008, his son said. The suspect's right arm is only semi-functional, and his family says he is not lucid.

"It is impossible to talk to him sensibly about usual things, to talk about his defence case," lawyer Saljic said. "Because he is really in bad shape psychologically."

Above all, the former commander keeps demanding that he be allowed to visit the grave of his daughter, who committed suicide in 1994.

"He says if he can't go there, he wants his daughter's coffin brought in here," the lawyer added. "His condition is alarming."

Saljic said the family does not believe that Mladic would receive proper medical attention in The Hague.

He noted that several high-profile Serbs had died there, including former President Slobodan Milosevic, who had a heart attack.
- AP
Read more on:    ratko mladic  |  serbia  |  war crimes
NEXT ON NEWS24X
SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
5 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Inside News24

 
/News
 

New GIF keyboard on iOS for added fun!

Soon sending an LOL! or facepalm will be so much more fun!

 
 

For chic geeks...

Puppy goes crazy over iPad game
Printable solar panels will bring exciting new opportunities!
Now there’s a special lane for texting while walking
LOL! 7 brutally honest texts from parents

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go!

Magical Massinga

Spend 5 nights at the gorgeous Massinga Beach Lodge in Mozambique and only pay for 4 from R13 220 per person sharing. Includes return flights, accommodation, transfers and romantic turndown. Book now!

Kalahari.com - shop online today

Pre-order your iPhone 6 at kalahari.com

Hurry and pre-order your own iPhone 6 now at SA’s favourite online store!

Bargain box – 60% off

Reduced prices, very limited stock. While stocks last. Hurry and shop now!

Mind blow low prices on electronics

Get either the Prestigio multiphone or Proline tablet 7” tablet for only R699. Offers valid while stocks last. Shop now!

30% off Barbie toys

Save 30% on all Barbie toys and accessories. Offer valid while stocks last. Shop now!

Baby extravanganza month at kalahari.com

Celebrate baby month with a wide range of awesome baby products. Offers valid while stocks last. Shop now.

OLX Free Classifieds [change area]

Samsung Galaxy s4

Mobile, Cell Phones in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 24

Best bargain in big bay

Real Estate, Houses - Apartments for Sale in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

VW Golf 6, 1.6 Trendline (Excellent condition)

Vehicles, Cars in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a tendency to fight against the current today but this will just use up a lot of energy and not get you very far. You...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.








Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.