Mladic finishes prison induction
The Hague - Ex-Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic has completed an "initial induction process" and medical tests at a Hague-based UN prison, a Yugoslav war crimes tribunal official said on Wednesday.
"I can confirm that Mr Mladic has completed the initial induction process in the detention unit," said Martin Petrov, who heads the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia's (ICTY) Registrar's Office.
"Mr Mladic is now following the standard detention regime that applies to all detainees," Petrov told journalists at a press briefing in The Hague, where the court is based.
It was however unclear whether Mladic had been moved to a general residential wing inside the unit, in the seaside suburb of Scheveningen, with Petrov saying "information about the exact location of our detainees is confidential".
One of Europe's most wanted men for his part in the 1992-92 Bosnian war, Mladic, aged 69, was arrested in Serbia last month after 16 years on the run.
He was transferred by aeroplane to the Netherlands five days later and is now being held at the ICTY's detention unit in a Dutch prison, situated a few kilometres away from the court.
He is expected to make a second appearance before judges on July 4, where he will again be asked to plead on 11 charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Bosnian conflict, which saw about 100 000 people killed and over two million others displaced.