More charges in Italy cruise ship lawsuit

2012-02-14 14:02

Miami - Passengers aboard a Costa Concordia cruise ship that capsized off Italy last month have amended their US lawsuit to bring additional charges of negligence against the ship's captain and crew.

The lawsuit in a state court in Florida, where the cruise operators are based, now includes 39 plaintiffs, each of whom is seeking individual damages for unique losses and injuries, their attorney Mark Bern said in a statement.

"The plaintiffs will seek punitive damages as a result of the nature of the conduct of the Costa Concordia's officers and staff, which demonstrated a reckless disregard for human life and property," the statement said on Monday.

"These passengers were left terrified and unguided in a desperate situation while the captain was already safely in a lifeboat with his clothes dry and his luggage in hand," Bern said.

"Once the surviving passengers reached land, their ordeal was far from over, because Carnival failed to offer them the barest courtesies and assistance, leaving them in a country where most were aliens, with only the clothes on their back, no money and no passports."

The original suit was filed by six passengers late last month, and demanded $460m in compensation from Carnival Cruise Lines, the parent company of Costa Cruise Lines, which owns the Costa Concordia.

32 dead

The Costa Concordia had 4 229 people aboard including about 1 000 personnel when it ran aground near Giglio, a picturesque island off Tuscany that is part of a nature reserve known to swimmers and divers for its clear waters.

Thirty-two people are now believed to have died in the tragedy, although the bodies of 15 have not been recovered.

Captain Francesco Schettino, who faces charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship before all passengers were evacuated, is under house arrest.

He has admitted responsibility for the impact but has blamed the ship's faulty equipment.

Since the disaster, several consumer associations have announced their intention to bring a class action against Costa Cruise Lines despite the firm's offer to pay passengers on board the doomed liner more than $14 000 each.

 

- SAPA
Read more on:    costa  |  italy  |  us  |  cruise liner disaster  |  maritime
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a tendency to discriminate, criticise and over analyse things today which can leave everybody feeling a little bit unsure...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.