N Korea blames US nuke threat for aborting envoy's trip

2013-09-02 09:02
Kenneth Bae. (AP)

Kenneth Bae. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - North Korea has withdrawn its invitation to a US envoy to visit the country over a detained American because Washington perpetrated a "grave provocation" by allegedly mobilising nuclear-capable bombers during recent military drills with Seoul.

Analysts said the moves signal that possible informal negotiations between the two countries over Kenneth Bae were not going smoothly, with Pyongyang likely seeking some concessions from Washington in return for releasing him.

Bob King, the US special envoy for North Korean human rights, had been scheduled to travel to Pyongyang on Friday for talks on Bae, a 45-year-old tour operator and Christian missionary who has been detained since November for committing "hostile acts". He was sentenced in April to 15 years of hard labour.

An unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesperson said in remarks carried by state media late on Saturday that his country intended to allow King's visit even though the US and South Korea were conducting annual military drills.

But he said the US "beclouded the hard-won atmosphere of humanitarian dialogue in a moment" by allegedly infiltrating B-52H strategic bombers into the sky above the peninsula during the exercises. He called it "the most blatant nuclear blackmail against us".

Simulated war games

The North Korean statement "may be the result of the fact that compromises are not being struck smoothly in US-North Korea negotiations" over what North Korea wants for releasing Bae, said Lim Eul Chul, a professor at South Korea's Kyungnam University, adding that could include such things as the shipment of aid or the start of formal talks on improving ties.

North Korea appears to be trying to gain leverage on the US by delaying King's trip, but it should eventually allow the trip for talks on Bae because it needs improved ties with the outside world to revive its economy, Lim said.

Analysts say North Korea has previously used detained Americans as bargaining chips in its standoff with the US over its nuclear and missile programs.

International disarmament talks on ending North Korea's nuclear ambitions remain stalled since 2009 and efforts by Washington to negotiate a freeze in the North's nuclear program in exchange for food aid collapsed 18 months ago.

King's planned trip raised prospects for improved relations between the wartime foes as it would have been the first public trip by a US administration official to the country in more than two years.

The annual Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills, which ended Friday, were computer-simulated war games that US and South Korea say are defensive in nature, but which North Korea calls a rehearsal for an invasion. The US military command in Seoul did not immediately comment on the North Korean statement.

Earlier this year, the US took the unusual step of sending nuclear-capable B-52 and B-2 bombers to participate in springtime military drills with South Korea as tension was running high after a string of warlike rhetoric from North Korea, including vows to launch nuclear war.

The flights drew a furious response from Pyongyang. Animosities have since eased, with Pyongyang moderating its rhetoric and seeking diplomacy with Seoul and Washington.

State Department spokesperson Marie Harf said on Friday the US was "surprised and disappointed by North Korea's decision" and remains gravely concerned about Bae's health.

Bae's family expressed disappointment but said they were holding on to faith that North Korean and US diplomats would resume talks soon. Bae suffers from multiple health problems.

Bae is at least the sixth American detained in North Korea since 2009. The others were eventually allowed to leave without serving their terms, with some releases coming after prominent Americans, including former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, visited North Korea.

Read more on:    jimmy carter  |  bill clinton  |  kenneth bae  |  north korea  |  south korea  |  us  |  north korea nuclear programme

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.