N Korea cuts military hotline with South

2013-03-27 13:11
South Korean Defense Minister Lee Yang-Ho talks with frontline commanders through a hotline installed in the ministry's emergency duty room. (Yonhap, AFP)

South Korean Defense Minister Lee Yang-Ho talks with frontline commanders through a hotline installed in the ministry's emergency duty room. (Yonhap, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - North Korea severed its military hotline with South Korea on Wednesday, breaking the last direct communication link between the two countries at a time of heightened military tensions.

The decision coincided with an announcement that the North's top political leadership would meet in the next few days to discuss an unspecified "important issue" and make a "drastic turn".

The hotline move was relayed by a senior North Korean military official to his South Korean counterpart just before the link was severed.

"Under the situation where a war may break out any moment, there is no need to keep up North-South military communications," the official was quoted as saying by the official Korean Central News Agency.

"From now, the North-South military communications will be cut off," he said.

Several weeks ago North Korea severed the Red Cross hotline that had been used for government-to-government communications in the absence of diplomatic relations.

Unleashing ‘all-out war’

Severing the military hotline could affect operations at the Seoul-funded Kaesong industrial complex just north of the border because it was used to organise movements of people and vehicles in and out.

The industrial estate - established in 2004 as a symbol of cross-border co-operation - has remained operational despite repeated crises in relations.

"We are negotiating with the North to prevent any operational issues," an official from the Kaesong management committee said, adding the North has yet to block movements of people to and from Kaesong.

The South's unification ministry urged the North to retract its action, saying it's not good for "stable operation" of the complex where more than 50 000 North Koreans work at small labour-intensive South Korean plants.

Cutting the hotline was the latest in a series of threats and actions that have raised tensions on the Korean peninsula since the North's long-range rocket launch in December and its nuclear test last month.

Both events triggered UN sanctions that infuriated Pyongyang, which has spent the past month issuing increasingly bellicose statements about unleashing an "all-out war".

Current situation volatile

Earlier on Wednesday the North announced an imminent meeting of its ruling party politburo and launched a scathing attack on South Korea's new president, Park Geun-Hye.

A North Korean state committee accused Park of slander and provocation after she made a speech warning the North that failure to abandon its nuclear weapons programme would result in its collapse.

"If she keeps to the road of confrontation... she will meet a miserable ruin," it said.

In Seoul, some analysts suggested the North was fast running out of threats and targets for its invective as it sought to bully the international community into negotiating on Pyongyang's terms.

"They are upping the rhetorical ante in every possible way, but the international community is not reacting as it had hoped," said Cho Han-Bum, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification.

Cho said the coming politburo meeting would probably seek to keep "the momentum going" through some symbolic gesture.

"I envisage a resolution that further raises the alarm, like declaring a top alert for the entire nation beyond the military," he said.

Although North Korea is a past master of brinkmanship, there are concerns in South Korea and beyond that the current situation is so volatile that one accidental step could escalate into serious conflict.

On Tuesday the North's military put its "strategic" rocket units on combat alert, with a fresh threat to strike targets on the US mainland, Hawaii and Guam, as well as South Korea.

Pentagon spokesperson George Little said US forces were ready to respond to "any contingency". Japan, which hosts a number of US bases, said its government was "on full alert".

The US and South Korean militaries signed a new pact last week, providing for a joint military response to even low-level provocation by the North.

Read more on:    un  |  park geun-hye  |  south korea  |  north korea  |  north korea nuclear programme

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
7 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.