N Korea urges nuclear talks 'without preconditions'

2013-09-18 15:01

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Beijing - North Korea's senior nuclear strategist called on Wednesday for a new round of six-nation denuclearisation talks without preconditions, a proposal unlikely to gain traction in Washington.

First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan's remarks in Beijing came at a forum marking the 10th anniversary of the talks, which have been stalled since the last round in 2008 broke down over how to verify North Korea was meeting its pledges.

"We are ready to enter the six-party talks without preconditions," Kim was quoted as saying by South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

US officials have rejected holding new discussions before the North makes a clear commitment to carry out earlier promises to disarm, saying holding new talks that go nowhere will only undermine the six-party framework.

South Korea and Japan are also suspicious of such calls. The other two parties to the talks, Russia and China, have been more supportive of getting the dialogue back on track.

In his speech to the forum, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the parties should seize on a warming trend on the Korean Peninsula to take whatever actions are needed to restart talks.

"The situation on the peninsula was relatively stable when each party actively participated in negotiations. The situation was tense or even directionless when the talks stalemated," Wang said.

Since the breakdown in talks, Pyongyang has ramped up tensions with a third nuclear test and missile launch, prompting a tightening of UN sanctions against the isolated communist regime. Recent months have seen the North take a more moderate line as it sought to restart contacts with Seoul and repair ties with China, its most important ally.

The 10th anniversary forum had been promoted as a way of highlighting the achievements of the negotiations, but there were no immediate signs that it had brought the sides any closer.

The US Embassy in Beijing said that it was sending a diplomat to attend only as an observer and that there were no plans to meet with any North Korean representatives.

Read more on:    south korea  |  north korea  |  north korea nuclear programme

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.